Total votes: 70

theBlackDragon
Administrator
Administrator

Postby theBlackDragon » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:30 pm

calmar wrote:Hi theBlackDragon,

theBlackDragon wrote:
Vim is as big a Emacs nowadays, both in memory usage as in installed size

I was using emacs some times (ok, it was xemacs, maybe that made the big difference). Ok maybe I'm wrong with the console emacs. Anyway, xemacs took a very long time to load, so I opened one xemacs instance in a workspace, and whenever I had to edit something, I moved there, or tried to edit it with emacs beeing the server there. In vim, you can have many instances open, and they open very quick. Really a big advantage at least compared to xemacs.

There's no need to have multiple instances of Emacs open, one suffices as Emacs was built around buffers, so you can easily switch tasks/files without having to open/reopen files, something that was only very recently added to Vim (in 7 iirc)

Gnus is also *very* slow compared to mutt/slrn (elisp is unfortunately much slower cmp. to normal lisp IIRC as a possible reason).

I don't think Gnus is slow, it takes some time to come up, that's true. But it will indeed be slower than mutt. Elisp is relatively slow because it's mainly an interpreted lisp (although files do get sort of bytecompiled, sort of the way python does it)

Also note that Gnus is mainly a newsreader and that the e-mail functionality was added later. There are some other news/mail modes for Emacs that are supposedly faster.

*rest of quote snipped for brevity*

All in all it boils down to a matter of preference, I won't discuss that, but I will dispute any claims made about a piece of software I use on a regular basis that I think are untrue :)

Dominique
Pussycat
Pussycat

Postby Dominique » Tue May 01, 2007 9:44 pm

As I almost always have an open term with mc, I use a lot the internal mc editor. :D

When I want to have many files open at the same time or to do complex editing, I use kate.

morbusg
CatCoder
CatCoder

Re:

Postby morbusg » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:22 pm

theBlackDragon wrote:... something that was only very recently added to Vim (in 7 iirc)

Now this is just plain wrong. Buffers have existed a looong while in vi(m). I think you meant tabs?

theBlackDragon
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Re:

Postby theBlackDragon » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:36 am

morbusg wrote:
theBlackDragon wrote:... something that was only very recently added to Vim (in 7 iirc)

Now this is just plain wrong. Buffers have existed a looong while in vi(m). I think you meant tabs?

That which is called "buffers" in Emacs, I have no idea what it's called in (v)im...

morbusg
CatCoder
CatCoder

Re:

Postby morbusg » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:36 pm

thomasadam wrote:Except of course, the "g" specifier for 'global' is irrelevant here -- the :% tells Vim to do something globally.

Noticed this, and it needs a correction.
"g" is for "line-globality", "%" is for "buffer-globality".

ie. w/o "g", only the first pattern match occurance on the same line is substituted.

dante65
Pussycat
Pussycat

Re: Which editor do you prefer?

Postby dante65 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:11 pm

I love fte http://fte.sourceforge.net/ , but as it get messed up when using screen (at least in my system),
then i with my roots in dos since 1991 and as a user of borlandc and borland turbo pascal, then i chosen to use setedit http://setedit.sourceforge.net/ . if you know about rhide - the aouthor of setedit is the one that helped Richard Höhne with building the code for Rhide. Setedit ide is built around borlands turbovision library (i think they set the code free, but i am not sure)
Neither fte or setedit have all the functions and commands that vi or emacs have, but both of them have block commands which is a the most prefered need for me.

And yes i know that i can do more things in vi(m) and emacs than in the most other editors (yes, there is multiedit for dos/windows), in fact i have vim as my system editr - just to see if i can force myself to accept it a little more, but i don't like the need of switching modes all the time..

What i really woould like to see is a multiedit http://www.multiedit.com/ for *nux..

/Dante65

Chris Cornell
Cat in the hat
Cat in the hat

Postby Chris Cornell » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:39 am

I prefer emacs with some majormodes for fvwm, c++ etc...
etch || 2.6.24-rt1 || NVIDIA 169.09 || fvwm cvs patched || pekwm

Licence: by-nc-sa

Shaika-Dzari
Kitten
Kitten

Postby Shaika-Dzari » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:41 pm

I'm using Kate or vim :D

scientific
Pussycat
Pussycat

Postby scientific » Sun May 05, 2013 1:38 am

out there, there is nedit. on X it's great. but nedit is not built fot utf8 :-(
so i use vim ajd nedit for different cases. but i'm learning how to use vim much better... it'w a great editor :-)
i wish utf8-support for nedit... and i'm using vim more and more.
for special cases there is gedit. a "format-washingmachine" for drag and drop from websites to libreoffice f.e. :-)
Debian squeeze, 2.6.32-5-amd64
fvwm 2.6.1 compiled on Apr 26 2011 at 15:45:54
with support for: ReadLine, XPM, PNG, Shape, XShm, SM, Xinerama, XRender, XCursor, XFT, NLS

mimosinnet
Pussycat
Pussycat

Postby mimosinnet » Tue May 07, 2013 10:19 am

scientific wrote:out there, there is nedit. on X it's great. but nedit is not built fot utf8 :-(
so i use vim ajd nedit for different cases. but i'm learning how to use vim much better... it'w a great editor :-)
for special cases there is gedit. a "format-washingmachine" for drag and drop from websites to libreoffice f.e. :-)

Thanks for the information. I did not know about nedit, and in the web page it says "People already exposed to modern GUIs when introduced to UNIX used to be (and still are) told to use vi or EMACS.". Nevertheless, you can now use gvim if you want a Gui. Actually, as I am using pentadactyl in my firefox, I can edit this post in gvim by pressing ctrl-i.

Cheers!

scientific
Pussycat
Pussycat

Postby scientific » Tue May 07, 2013 4:48 pm

mimosinnet wrote:
scientific wrote:out there, there is nedit. on X it's great. but nedit is not built fot utf8 :-(

Thanks for the information. I did not know about nedit, and in the web page it says "People already exposed to modern GUIs when introduced to UNIX used to be (and still are) told to use vi or EMACS.". Nevertheless, you can now use gvim if you want a Gui. Actually, as I am using pentadactyl in my firefox, I can edit this post in gvim by pressing ctrl-i.

Cheers!

nedit isn't in development. That's sad. But i like the way you can copy.

Mark text and with double-click you can insert it on another place with the middle-mouse-button.
OR you put the cursor on a place, where you want to insert text, change to the other text (another tab or even anoter instance of nedit), mark the text to copy with the 3. mouse-button, release the button, and text is inserted.
Or you mark text, take it with button 3 of the mouse and move it around, where ever you want to have it.

that's great.

But if there is another editor, which can do this three features, i will change, because, nedit can't do UTF8, and i don't like motiv... :)

scientific
Debian squeeze, 2.6.32-5-amd64
fvwm 2.6.1 compiled on Apr 26 2011 at 15:45:54
with support for: ReadLine, XPM, PNG, Shape, XShm, SM, Xinerama, XRender, XCursor, XFT, NLS

senton1
Kitten
Kitten

Postby senton1 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:41 pm

I like jed. I'm sure that it's smaller than average simple in comparing with Emacs, vim etc. But I want only two things
1) Syntax hilighting
2) Simplicity with :)

Lucio C
Kitten
Kitten

Postby Lucio C » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:12 pm

I use THE (The Hessling Editor), an Unix clone of IBM VM/CMS XEDIT
http://sax.iasf-milano.inaf.it/~lucio/WWW/Opinions/myxedit.html
Don't like the UI of Firefox > 29 ? Replace with Pale Moon: http://www.palemoon.org

lynxlynx
Kitten
Kitten

Postby lynxlynx » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:32 pm

All the Unix experience since 2007 I'd used busybox vi or Vim. Or their variants: elvis, nvi, bsd vi, default crippled preinstalled vi on Debian.
I mostly prefer Vim or busybox vi.
It happend that I coded my own sudo alternative named super for more than a year using only busybox vi.
Although I now use only Vim on my desktop systems which, of course, run FVWM, I am tolerant to any vi version, even Debian's crippled one.
But Vim is preferable because it has support for ctags. To be honest however, I am not a Vim maniac.

Aside from Vim, I also use either Adie or Xfw, both of which are graphical X11 editors. Adie is a part of FOX toolkit and Xfw is a part of Xfe file manager, which also depends on FOX toolkit. I prefer not to code with them, but do my usual writings there, such as articles writings or just TODO lists 8)
And I do not like GVim. vi is good in terminal whereas for X11 I prefer something other.

Return to “The tavern”