How did you end up with Fvwm?

The place for off topic chatter with your fellow visitors
just_jed
Kitten
Kitten

Re: How did you end up with Fvwm?

Postby just_jed » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:12 pm

I suppose this is as good a place as any to introduce myself to the forum.

I started using Linux with RH5.2. So I was using Fvwm, though I didn't know it right off. So I guess 1998? I wasn't happy with AnotherLevel, but with some digging, discovered it was just an overlay on Fvwm, so I ditched all that and wrote my own .fvwmrc.

Over time, I tried a few others, here and there, most notably Sawmill and WM2, but kept coming back to Fvwm, though I did like Kwin and used it for a time. But when KDE4 landed with a mighty thud, I went back to Fvwm.

What I really appreciated, back then, was that after running the 2.2 -> 2.4 conversion script, and with very little tweaking, my Fvwm config worked just as it used to. And, again, same thing with 2.4 -> 2.6. Amid a whole lot of fiddly-diddly changes happening in the Linux desktop space, it's nice that my Fvwm config just keeps working the way it always has, without my having to make a ton of adjustments. And that, really, is likely to keep me running Fvwm going forward. Or at least, I sincerely hope that it continues to be the case.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a yo-yo
-- Enoch root

Nicebrass
Kitten
Kitten

Re: How did you end up with Fvwm?

Postby Nicebrass » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:53 am

I started with KDE1 and I loved it! I still miss it. I went to AfterStep in RedHat 5.x. Its been FVWM ever since.

Return to “The tavern”