Defocusing any iconified window

Basic FVWM questions can be asked here.
lynxlynx
Kitten
Kitten

Defocusing any iconified window

Postby lynxlynx » Sat May 13, 2017 4:25 pm

Is there a way to completely loose a focus from all windows on current desktop? Both iconified and active.
When I iconify a window, some other window (even iconified) gets focus, and sometimes I do hit random keys by accident, which are then sent to that window, causing unwanted effects.

somiaj
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Defocusing any iconified window

Postby somiaj » Mon May 15, 2017 2:59 am

This has to do with your focus policy. For example, MouseFocus will give focus to the window the mouse is in. If the mouse leaves that window it will loose focus. SloppyFocus or ClickToFocus will not take focus away from a window when the mouse leaves it.

A bit more details is you can configure windows to gain focus on mouse enter or click events, FPEnterToFocus and FPClickToFocus, and loose focus with a mouse leave, FPLeaveToUnfocus. One note if using MouseFocus is you loose focus if the window is visible and the mouse moves out of the window and over the root window. SloppyFocus will not do that.

I don't see a way to tell fvwm to take away focus from all windows outside of the MouseFocus or FPLeaveToUnfocus styles.
-jaimos

lynxlynx
Kitten
Kitten

Re: Defocusing any iconified window

Postby lynxlynx » Mon May 15, 2017 9:05 am

Basically I try to mix both Unix and Windows like behavior when it comes with GUI. Thus I am trying to restore this when it comes to focusing windows. I thought it was possible. Okay, maybe someday later. :)

Return to “Basic questions”