The Beatles - Some sixties group my grandparents listened to

Post your comments and suggestions on the forum here.
bobrunner
Kitten
Kitten

The Beatles - Some sixties group my grandparents listened to

Postby bobrunner » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:54 pm

Glad to see that there is a forum for FVWM.
Great!

Regarding the registration procedure. I almost decided not to post here because the process is too convoluted.

The spam deterrent is a rather cryptic question about a twentieth century band called the Beatles:

"Who was present in the line-up for 'love me do'?
Please drag the options with the mouse to the correct list, to avoid automated registrations."

One has to drag from a very long list four names. Of course, it took a why to work out the question was about a group from the 1960s. I had to google and then read Wikipedia. I did listen to their music for about 5 mins, but it is not very good - Nice songs.

Thus the question: Is the person who thought up such a chore of question a Beatles fan? I had never really heard of them.

And the shear sadistic nature of the site owner: Try signing up on a handset using Android or Apple - It cannot be done. I tried it on my phone - It won't work :)

thomasadam
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Beatles - Some sixties group my grandparents listene

Postby thomasadam » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:21 am

Dealing with spam is a nightmare. That you managed to do it, despite your whining shows you're human.

Suck it up. It's done now. Welcome to the fvwm forums.

And yes, I do like the beatles.

bobrunner
Kitten
Kitten

Postby bobrunner » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:31 pm

I listened to some more by them. Some songs are pretty good, so consider my earlier statement partially retracted :D ( I know I whined. )

theBlackDragon
Administrator
Administrator

Postby theBlackDragon » Wed May 09, 2012 4:12 pm

bobrunner wrote:I listened to some more by them. Some songs are pretty good, so consider my earlier statement partially retracted :D ( I know I whined. )

While I wouldn't consider myself a Beatles fan I have to say I'm baffled there are people that don't know about them. I must really be getting old :(

That said, requiring a quick Wikipedia lookup is a pretty effective way to filter out bots :)

gavenkoa
Kitten
Kitten

Postby gavenkoa » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:07 am

I found question too cryptic. Especially term "line-up" for non-naive English speaker. But OK.

hello_kitty
Kitten
Kitten

Postby hello_kitty » Mon May 12, 2014 7:10 pm

This anti-spam question was simple but I think this list of names is too long. It's hard to find right names.

skysmurf
Kitten
Kitten

Postby skysmurf » Tue May 13, 2014 8:29 pm

hello_kitty wrote:This anti-spam question was simple

I actually had to look it up, being more of a Stones man and all that.
fvwm-2.6.5_3 on FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE-p3/amd64 and FreeBSD 9-STABLE/i386

Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. But this (the Audi R8) is like smearing honey into Keira Knightley.
-- Jeremy Clarkson

bluebear
Kitten
Kitten

Postby bluebear » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:21 pm

In my opinion it's good to know a little bit about groups who changed music.

thomasadam
Administrator
Administrator

Postby thomasadam » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:53 pm

I've just deleted the previous post here. Ironically those who have moaned have already answered the question, thus proving a little their human nature.

Be thankful I didn't demand a question about teddy bears.

Thomas

jamesqf
Kitten
Kitten

Postby jamesqf » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:25 am

Obviously, those who complain here have answered the question, since they had to answer to get here. The question you should instead ask is how many gave up, and so didn't join the forum.

Lucio C
Kitten
Kitten

Postby Lucio C » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:51 pm

After about 20 days I wanted to subscribe to the forum, which looks more active than the mailing list (and is based on phpBB which is a nice interface), I finally managed to get past the barrage of the registration (fixed) captcha, which was to me more ununderstandable than the conundrums in the old Colossal Cave adventure game.

When I first saw it I could not even understand what it was about ? what is a "line up" ? what was "love me do" ? who are all those unknown curious mostly female names (among which I noticed interspersed the Beatles, though never fond of them, :mrgreen: and some names without surnames) ? I thought of something like some crowd of people queing up to see a "red carpet" of actors for either some shakesperean play or some telenovela fiction (most likely the second). I tried even to move a single name (I selected "Thomas" ... thinking of Thomas Adams) :mrgreen: .

Then I decided to use the old mailing list, and go on playing with my fvwm configuration.Now that it is over, I found the solution googling for the entire message text. So here I am. This deserved to be the first post.

And by the way, since I use to post with my real name on professional forums, my full name is Lucio Chiappetti (it is a pity that long names are now allowed, we ultradodecanyms shall not be discriminated :D)
Don't like the UI of Firefox > 29 ? Replace with Pale Moon: http://www.palemoon.org

ichudov1
Kitten
Kitten

Postby ichudov1 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:30 am

I am not a native English speaker.

In addition, I have no interest in pop music, Beatles, and "lineups". In fact, I did not even know, nor did I care, what a "lineup" was, or who was in Beatles at any given time.

The question was highly irrelevant to this forum and very difficult to answer for anyone without a very specific and narrow background. Participants of this forum can be expected to have much more varied cultural backgrounds.

The only way for me to get registered was to ask a USENET Beatles newsgroup, where I got some great help.

lynxlynx
Kitten
Kitten

Re: The Beatles - Some sixties group my grandparents listened to

Postby lynxlynx » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:01 pm

When in Internet, I expect everything as a captcha: from something silly to humans as images with phrases or simple arithmetic, to complex math formulas, dodgy questions or language puzzles. It's the site owner task and duty to filter out unneeded content, and maintain the balance, and I appreciate that no matter how strong captcha is.
So it was a rare one, but with help from google it was solved.
I personally do not care about captcha type installed. I just have to solve it.

Return to “About the forum”