fvwm truncates titlebar text at first non-ascii character

Problems with decorations or key/mouse bindings? Or perhaps you have a cool mouse/key binding you want to share.
shachter
Kitten
Kitten
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:16 pm

fvwm truncates titlebar text at first non-ascii character

Postby shachter » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:58 pm

fvwm is truncating titlebar text at the first
non-Ascii character. It is not a matter of the WindowFont's
inability to display non-Ascii characters, because the xmessage
command demonstrates that it can; moreover, if the font were the
problem, the non-Ascii characters would perhaps be missing, or
perhaps replaced with the font's default bounding box, but the Ascii
characters following the non-Ascii characters would still appear
in the titlebar, and they do not: the first non-Ascii character
ends the titlebar string. And fvwm knows that the string ends
there, because it centers the string as if it ended there.

I even rebuilt fvwm, and it made no difference.


$ /usr/local/bin/fvwm --version
fvwm 2.6.5 compiled on Apr 21 2013 at 22:19:29
with support for: ReadLine, Stroke, XPM, PNG, SVG, Shape, XShm, SM, Bidi text, Xinerama, XRender, XCursor, XFT, NLS

fvwm comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. You may
redistribute copies of fvwm under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.



I am still not getting iso-8859-1 characters in my titlebar. Thus, in an
xterm window:


$ echo -n '^[]0;hélène^G'


puts a centered "h" in the titlebar.

The behavior of FvwmPager is interesting. There is a small area in FvwmPager
that corresponds to this xterm window, and fvwm has drawn "hélène" into that
area. So the window manager definitely knows what the window title is supposed
to be. But when I move my mouse into that area, it pops up an "h" (black h,
yellow background -- the yellow background is no wider than than the black h,
so fvwm knows that the title string ends with the h).

To anticipate a possible reply, I changed the xterm window's encoding to
UTF8 (control right-mouse-button) and sent the titlebar an "hélène" that had
the two extra bytes in it that utf8 requires to represent those non-Ascii
characters, and I got the same behavior, still just a centered "h" in the
titlebar.

I find nothing in the fabulous manual that answers this question, so
now I turn to you. Thank you in advance for any and all replies.

jay at m5 dot chicago dot il dot us

+1 773 7613784 landline
+1 410 9964737 GoogleVoice

Return to “Decorations and bindings”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest