Lowering the barrier to entry for FVWM newcomers

Talk about anything related to FVWM, but don't ask support questions here!
Nick Fortune
CatCoder
CatCoder

Postby Nick Fortune » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:40 pm

theBlackDragon wrote:Well, I don't know if it's possible but trying to use Arial and then using sans:bold as a fallback font? That way you don't have to include it in the package and can still use it if it's available.

mmm... I know you can set up xft and freetype to work like that - that's effectively what xft:sans is doing. I expect there's some way to do it in FVWM as well... I'll have to take a look
theBlackDragon wrote:About the decision thing: if it comes down to it...there is an option to make polls on this board *hint* :wink:

Yeah... although that probably wants to wait until we have a few more options to offer. Still, it's worth remembering.

theBlackDragon wrote:
ThomasAdam wrote:Hehe, but then that's going to be the same for anyone that uses this new config -- some people will like it, other's will snort at it, and others will think it sucks beyond belief. But it doesn't matter, IMO. I couldn't care less because at the end of day, the work we're doing now is much better than what was done previously... Smile

:D No argument there!

Nick Fortune
CatCoder
CatCoder

Postby Nick Fortune » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:20 am

Well, it looks about right. Click the image for the config.
[url=http://www.nymar.demon.co.uk/test_buttons.txt]
Image[/url]

I wound up cheating outrageously. The mail notification is just xbiff wil graphics borrowed from the icon set 48-ifox from the wm-icons project. The clock is xclock reversed and padded down to icon size. Likewise the load monotor is xload, padded and coloured to match the theme. Thomas, if you still fancy taking a crack at a script clock/mail notifier, feel free. I stalled on biff not being installed on this box and how to allow for maildir and mailbox, and on the potential inefficiency of spawning multiple date commands each second - although that could be fixed with a back end process and a pipe...

Most of the panel is transparent. This is with an eye to switching desks and having the colours still work, although it might end up being less hassle to just redefine the colorsets. I'm only using three on this and I think at least one of them is superfluous.

I'm getting an oddball error on the mask:

Code: Select all

[FVWM][parse_colorset(shape)]: <<ERROR>> can't load picture CleanupColorsets

Happens every second invocation. The mask fails and the panel takes up its full size. Restart it and all is fine. The first invocation is ok, so this probably isn't going to be an issue, but it'd be nice to fix it. If I can, I'd like to stick a quit button on the far right of the screen, still part of the panel, but spatially separate.

There's also code in there, disabled for now, to let you spin the pager through the desks while keeping the current desk the same. So you could be on desk one, and cycle the pager through the other desks looking for something and click to go there when you find it.

At this rate I'll have nothing left for the next from-scratch :)

Cell size wound up being 20 pixels. I'd like to fit a title under the three monitor buttons, but it gets into the padding and I can't figure out how to fix it without writing a script. I'll look at it tomorrow when I'm more awake.

[edit]
Couldn't resist fiddling some more:
[url=http://www.nymar.demon.co.uk/test_buttons.txt]
Image[/url]
That's the 4 desks coloured blue red green & yellow, the buttons coded to match. The pager takes on the color of the desk it's pointing at, not the one in use and the sliders at either side cycle the pager not the desk.

The sensible thing would probably be to have Mouse 1 change the desk and mouse 3 change just the pager.

And yes, the colours do indeed need work :)

Right - this time to bed
Last edited by Nick Fortune on Fri May 12, 2006 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theBlackDragon
Administrator
Administrator

Postby theBlackDragon » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:29 am

Nick Fortune wrote:And yes, the colours do indeed need work :)

If you mean the colours of the clock and such, then I'm bound to agree, blue-on-black isn't very readable (at least, to me it isn't).

If you're talking about the desk/pager colours I'm going to have to disagree, you've picked some pretty distinctive and "basic" colours, which, I think, would look good about anywhere, unless you're concerned that it might give everything a kiddy look? But that's just a matter of opinions I guess.

Another advantage of the yellow,red,green,blue thing is colourblind people (like me), I find them to be pretty distinctive, this is something you would lose when you choose colours that resemble eachother more, well, depending on the colours of course...

Now I hope this all made sense to you... :-)

Nick Fortune
CatCoder
CatCoder

Postby Nick Fortune » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:17 am

My wife like the colours too. She says they're pretty. So that's it then - they're staying! ;)

Joking aside, I can see how we could run with this. Stick with simple bright colours, and a clean distinctive design that owes nothing to MS or Apple. After all, if you don't like the colours, they're easy enough to change ;)

The blue on black - I have to agree. I was in mad hack get-it-working mode last night. I think we can do a little better than that.

I'm noticing that my machine seems to work very hard to get this panel displayed. I'm not sure why yet, but I hope this isn't going to prove prohibitive on slower hardware.

[edited for clarity]

morbusg
CatCoder
CatCoder

Postby morbusg » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:55 pm

Umm.. stupid question: How do I run this code?
I tried it with just grabbing the code behind the picture, and running that, but obviously that is not the intended way... or is it?

Oh, and I like the pager button/background colours! :D

Nick Fortune
CatCoder
CatCoder

Postby Nick Fortune » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:17 pm

I put the code in a file called test_buttons in my $FVWM_USERDIR

Then I open a console and type

read test_buttons

It's just to allow me to run and re-run the code while I'm debugging. Once it works properly I take the code I'm testing and paste it into a proper config file. I should have explained how it worked.

morbusg wrote:Oh, and I like the pager button/background colours! Very Happy

You like a colour combo I chose? Alert the military! The world is ending! :D:P

I thought it would be nice if the sliders were coloured to reflect the desk they'd bring you to if you clicked on them

Next thing is that clock - just as soon as I get this damn perl script to sync properly

thomasadam
Administrator
Administrator

Postby thomasadam » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:17 pm

Nick Fortune wrote:Well, it looks about right. Click the image for the config.

Yeppers! It looks good, Nick. :)

Nick Fortune wrote:I wound up cheating outrageously. The mail notification is just xbiff wil graphics borrowed from the icon set 48-ifox from the wm-icons project. The clock is xclock reversed and padded down to icon size. Likewise the load monotor is xload, padded and coloured to match the theme.

I wouldn't have called it cheating, more I'd have said 'creativity'. Using these programs is good in many ways, we're guaranteed that they're going to be on any system with X11. And they don't look too bad, either. :)

Nick Fortune wrote:Thomas, if you still fancy taking a crack at a script clock/mail notifier, feel free. I stalled on biff not being installed on this box and how to allow for maildir and mailbox, and on the potential inefficiency of spawning multiple date commands each second - although that could be fixed with a back end process and a pipe...

Perhaps -- it's something I wlil look into at the very end, as it's not absolutely necessary -- the principle has at least been conveyed, in my opinion....

Nick Fortune wrote:There's also code in there, disabled for now, to let you spin the pager through the desks while keeping the current desk the same. So you could be on desk one, and cycle the pager through the other desks looking for something and click to go there when you find it.

It's quite nice -- but heed theBlackDragon's comment -- whilst I like the colours you've chosen, I can't help but feel that from an accessibility point of view - those people that might be colour-blind might have a hard time of it.... But then, the same could be said of *any* colour we use.

Nick Fortune wrote:At this rate I'll have nothing left for the next from-scratch :)

Heh. :)

OK. So I've been quite quiet here the last day or so - but I've been busy... :) I've done the following.....

* Updated the SetupForm for use with no config file found. Removed a lot of the modules, and gave the option of (optionally) copying the config files for FvwmButtons and FvwmIconMan.
* Created a root menu with a selection of relatively common applications that might be installed (using the Test (x ....) construct so it's dynamic, at least). I wouldn't necessarily want to add much more to it -- it proves the point. :)
* Organised FvwmIconMan to appear at the correct offset from FvwmButtons (see the wrapper function in $[FVWM_USERDIR]/ConfigFvwmIconMan). Also configured it to act like windows 95's taskbar.

I have yet to HTMLise the "Getting Started" guide. :/

Can you (at some point) supply the .xpm files for the FvwmButtons configuration, so I can further test it? Going to have to look at EWMHBastStruts et al., but it's going to be slightly more tricky than I first thought....

As a final comment, whilst I *really* like the four colours, to what extent should we theme the other modules? If we start to change the colours of the menus and FvwmIconMan (which remain blue, irrespective of the desk one is on) to match - there's a danger we're heading down the fvwm-themes path, heh. That said, the blue/black combination on each of the coloured desks doesn't look too bad, IMO. :)

Give the setup form a good test -- hope it's all OK. As usual, you can download it here

-- Thomas Adam

Nick Fortune
CatCoder
CatCoder

Postby Nick Fortune » Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:26 pm

ThomasAdam wrote:I wouldn't have called it cheating, more I'd have said 'creativity'. Using these programs is good in many ways, we're guaranteed that they're going to be on any system with X11. And they don't look too bad, either. :)

Yep, although the analog face is a little indistinct at that size and the digital one is a little uninspiring. The xbiff is ok - except I could do with a useful/sensible/interesting icon for "no mail". At the mo' I just have an empty square which is a bit lame. I'm tempted to use a multibutton script and have it cycle through a few conditions - if I could think of enough universals to make it worth while.
ThomasAdam wrote:Perhaps -- it's something I wlil look into at the very end, as it's not absolutely necessary -- the principle has at least been conveyed, in my opinion....

Still be good if it looked nice though :)
ThomasAdam wrote:It's quite nice -- but heed theBlackDragon's comment -- whilst I like the colours you've chosen, I can't help but feel that from an accessibility point of view - those people that might be colour-blind might have a hard time of it.... But then, the same could be said of *any* colour we use.

Well, I picked these colours buy taking the blue-to-gray grad from the first desk and changing "blue" to "red", "green" and "yellow", so I'm not going to be upset if we have to change them. As it is, everyone seems to think they look nice; a happy accident :)

ThomasAdam wrote:Can you (at some point) supply the .xpm files for the FvwmButtons configuration, so I can further test it? Going to have to look at EWMHBastStruts et al., but it's going to be slightly more tricky than I first thought...._NET_WM_STRUT

mmm... I got as far as trying to use xprop to set _NET_WM_STRUT, but couldn't figure out the syntax. Even then, our irregular panel is going to cause problems, since I think the struts just allow you to reserve rectangles.

I uploaded the pixmaps as requested.
ThomasAdam wrote:As a final comment, whilst I *really* like the four colours, to what extent should we theme the other modules? If we start to change the colours of the menus and FvwmIconMan (which remain blue, irrespective of the desk one is on) to match - there's a danger we're heading down the fvwm-themes path, heh. That said, the blue/black combination on each of the coloured desks doesn't look too bad, IMO. :)

I thought it was the blue-on-black that tBD said was causing him problems. In any case it's shoudn't be a major undertaking. redefine a few coloursets based on $[desk.n] - the perl to do it is already there. I'd have to stop and restart the xclock and xload as well, but that's probably about it.

Let's see how it goes for now.

Now - I'm off to build the latest version :D

Nick Fortune
CatCoder
CatCoder

Postby Nick Fortune » Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:20 pm

new clock:

It's a FvwmScript driven by Perl.

That should help maintain the bright happy colours motif, and I've been careful to make sure that the most important info has the best contrast: minute, hours, date, day of the week last.

And the colon flashes the seconds :)

thomasadam
Administrator
Administrator

Postby thomasadam » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:11 pm

Nick Fortune wrote:new clock:

It's a FvwmScript driven by Perl.

That should help maintain the bright happy colours motif, and I've been careful to make sure that the most important info has the best contrast: minute, hours, date, day of the week last.

And the colon flashes the seconds :)

I *like* this a lot. :) Ok, I've done some further logic to the FvwmForm-Setup -- and it now contextually copies over various files to $FVWM_USERDIR depending on the modules needed. I've also gone ahead and integrated the FvwmScript-Clock file, Nick -- except that I haven't yet changed the fvwmbuttons config as that seems to still be in a state of flux...

I made one or two changes to the FvwmScript-Clock file -- nothing bad, just that the convention for backend programs to FvwmScripts seems to be in lower-case, hence:

FvwmScript-Clock.pl

becomes:

fvwm-script-clock.pl

As always you can find the latest tarball here

-- Thomas Adam

Nick Fortune
CatCoder
CatCoder

Postby Nick Fortune » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:11 am

ThomasAdam wrote:I've also gone ahead and integrated the FvwmScript-Clock file, Nick -- except that I haven't yet changed the fvwmbuttons config as that seems to still be in a state of flux...

It's just about stable, I think. But I want to tidy up the code, comment it, and rationalise the colorsets. The pic is linked to a tarball of the all the bits so far.

[url=http://www.nymar.demon.co.uk/buttons.tar.bz2]
[/url]

ThomasAdam wrote:I made one or two changes to the FvwmScript-Clock file

Sound fair. I never did much care for InterCapping myself :)
ThomasAdam wrote:As always you can find the latest tarball here

Nice work too. The menu looks good, the auto detection seems to be working. The iconbar looks good too.

under the category of testing the hell out it:

Nothing in my editors list, but then as an unregenerate vi user, there wouldn't be. There's an argument for omitting empty categories entirely if that's doable.

A graphics/multimedia section would be nice. Gimp, dia, inkscape, electric eyes (ee/eeyes), xv, sodipodi, xmms, timidity.

We're a couple of pixels out on the join between modules. I can add a couple of pix to my cell size easy enough, although every pixel atm adds 5% to the size of the panel.

The font on pre-setup desktop has wandered again. Haven't tracked it down yet. I'll have another look tomorrow.

I get a headless firefox. I can see the appeal, although for a newcomer... How do you move it? Or is it a case of give it a page to itself and keep it maxed?

And as you say, we need to look at themeing, or at least colouring between modules. I've got a few ideas there, but they'll keep till tomorrow now.

And I keep alt-tabbing to no avail. I think that's about it.

thomasadam
Administrator
Administrator

Postby thomasadam » Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:00 am

Nick Fortune wrote:It's just about stable, I think. But I want to tidy up the code, comment it, and rationalise the colorsets. The pic is linked to a tarball of the all the bits so far.

It's certainly getting there. Looks good so far, although the FvwmScript-Clock is giving me a repeated error of:

[FvwmScript-Clock][GetMsgAndGet]: <<WARNING>> No in fifo /home/n6tadam/.fvwm/.tmp-com-in- for comunication

Which I can't seem to rectify.

Nick Fortune wrote:Sound fair. I never did much care for InterCapping myself :)

Heh. If you do change your FvwmScript-Clock file in the meantime, would you also ensure that you change the filename of 'FvwmScript-Clock.pl' to 'fvwm-script-clock.pl'?

Nick Fortune wrote:Nothing in my editors list, but then as an unregenerate vi user, there wouldn't be. There's an argument for omitting empty categories entirely if that's doable.

I *could* use 'MissingSubmenuFunction', but to be honest that would be otherwise over-complicating things. I'm kind of baning on the notion that at least _one_ of the programs (they're all off the top of my head, by the way :)) in the menus will be installed on the $USER's machine.

Nick Fortune wrote:A graphics/multimedia section would be nice. Gimp, dia, inkscape, electric eyes (ee/eeyes), xv, sodipodi, xmms, timidity.

Done.
Nick Fortune wrote:We're a couple of pixels out on the join between modules. I can add a couple of pix to my cell size easy enough, although every pixel atm adds 5% to the size of the panel.

We are? In which direction? It's quite hard for me to tell, as my original placement of FvwmIconMan (to obtain the offset) was done manually -- feel free to correct though.

Nick Fortune wrote:The font on pre-setup desktop has wandered again. Haven't tracked it down yet. I'll have another look tomorrow.

It has? I have it defined as ArialBlack in all instances (I thought) -- the only font you won't get like that is for focused windows, but it doesn't look too bad...
Nick Fortune wrote:I get a headless firefox. I can see the appeal, although for a newcomer... How do you move it? Or is it a case of give it a page to itself and keep it maxed?

I'd imagine that's symptomatic of this -- I'll style Firefox explictly by resource and title to be sure.
Nick Fortune wrote:And as you say, we need to look at themeing, or at least colouring between modules. I've got a few ideas there, but they'll keep till tomorrow now.

It's not difficult -- and FvwmIconMan repsects 'SendToModule' commands which means you can pass it a colorset.

Nick Fortune wrote:And I keep alt-tabbing to no avail. I think that's about it.

Heh, hint taken. I've added the standard WindowList menu and bound it to alt-tab. You can grab the tarball and play about with it. One final thing I noticed is that the Desk Switchers under the FvwmPager ("<" and ">") don't colourise correctly on startup with when the Buttons panel loads. I have to click on the pager for them to update. It _might_ be some form of race condition....

-- Thomas Adam

Nick Fortune
CatCoder
CatCoder

Postby Nick Fortune » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:19 pm

ThomasAdam wrote:It's certainly getting there. Looks good so far, although the FvwmScript-Clock is giving me a repeated error of:

[FvwmScript-Clock][GetMsgAndGet]: <<WARNING>> No in fifo /home/n6tadam/.fvwm/.tmp-com-in- for comunication

Which I can't seem to rectify.

I think I might know what causes that. I also need to fnd a way to catch script termination and clean up the dead fifo files it leaves behind.

ThomasAdam wrote:Heh. If you do change your FvwmScript-Clock file in the meantime, would you also ensure that you change the filename of 'FvwmScript-Clock.pl' to 'fvwm-script-clock.pl'?

Will do.

ThomasAdam wrote:I *could* use 'MissingSubmenuFunction', but to be honest that would be otherwise over-complicating things. I'm kind of baning on the notion that at least _one_ of the programs (they're all off the top of my head, by the way :)) in the menus will be installed on the $USER's machine.

That would be excessive:) I suppose I was thinking in terms of code generation rather than auto-detection. If we're going to have gui based editors we probably want a file manager entry as well. Either that or I add in some autodetect stuff to the panel.

ThomasAdam wrote:
Nick Fortune wrote:We're a couple of pixels out on the join between modules. I can add a couple of pix to my cell size easy enough, although every pixel atm adds 5% to the size of the panel.

We are? In which direction? It's quite hard for me to tell, as my original placement of FvwmIconMan (to obtain the offset) was done manually -- feel free to correct though.

The x-axis alignment is spot on. It's the size in th x-axis:

I can bump up the cell size on the panel by 4 pixels, but that adds 20% to the panel size overall, and it's already pretty chunky. The trouble is the only way to regulate the starting size and keep the w95 taskbar like behaviour seems to be with button geometry and that limits affects the possible size of the bar. Maybe start it through a func and do a non-interactive resize once it appears?

ThomasAdam wrote:
Nick Fortune wrote:The font on pre-setup desktop has wandered again. Haven't tracked it down yet. I'll have another look tomorrow.

It has? I have it defined as ArialBlack in all instances (I thought) -- the only font you won't get like that is for focused windows, but it doesn't look too bad...

Got it. It's that old search-and-replace bug again

Menustyle *  Font "Shadow=2 sw:xft:ArialGray80"

ThomasAdam wrote:I'd imagine that's symptomatic of this -- I'll style Firefox explictly by resource and title to be sure.

Yep - I was browsing the forums at the time. I never thought of that.

ThomasAdam wrote:
Nick Fortune wrote:And as you say, we need to look at themeing, or at least colouring between modules. I've got a few ideas there, but they'll keep till tomorrow now.

It's not difficult -- and FvwmIconMan repsects 'SendToModule' commands which means you can pass it a colorset.

Doesn't work when I try it here. I think it has a syntax for sending commands to windows based on the selection and focus of the manager. It's quite complex and looks like it might be very powerful if I they'd take a bit more time to explain it properly. but it doesn't honour colorset change requests.

ThomasAdam wrote:
Nick Fortune wrote:And I keep alt-tabbing to no avail. I think that's about it.

One final thing I noticed is that the Desk Switchers under the FvwmPager ("<" and ">") don't colourise correctly on startup with when the Buttons panel loads. I have to click on the pager for them to update. It _might_ be some form of race condition....

Damn, I thought I'd fixed that. I'm on it.

Other things: I get

FvwmIconMan: Already have set the number of managers

in the log file. Doesn't seem to hurt anything, mind.

For maxing windows how about we use the "until it hits something" option.

Maximize GrowOnWindowLayers 5 -1 Grow Grow      # !tested

This turns the irregular pager shape into an asset (in some respects) since you can four large maxed windows going with portions of each remaining visible. Works nicely with FvwmAuto and MinOverlapPlacement.

Thinking about the pager: you know I was talking about giving it a hotkey toggle? Well it would make sense to only vanish the panel and keep the desk selectors. The sliders could stay and turn into desk scrollers based on window state. This effectively turns the current FvwmButtons into a panel of the selector. We could take that to its logical conclusion and make the sidebars panels as well. That way the rectangular EWMH struts would work with them - if we can ever figure out how to set the window properties - and I get to dispense with a great big mask that does little but add overhead.

So must for "stabilising", huh? Of course I could just leave it the way it is. That'd work too :)

thomasadam
Administrator
Administrator

Postby thomasadam » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:21 pm

Nick Fortune wrote:I think I might know what causes that. I also need to fnd a way to catch script termination and clean up the dead fifo files it leaves behind.

You can use perl's trap statement easily enough.

Nick Fortune wrote:That would be excessive:) I suppose I was thinking in terms of code generation rather than auto-detection. If we're going to have gui based editors we probably want a file manager entry as well. Either that or I add in some autodetect stuff to the panel.

Hmm, well I've added a filemanager menu to pick up on some programs. :)

Nick Fortune wrote:I can bump up the cell size on the panel by 4 pixels, but that adds 20% to the panel size overall, and it's already pretty chunky. The trouble is the only way to regulate the starting size and keep the w95 taskbar like behaviour seems to be with button geometry and that limits affects the possible size of the bar. Maybe start it through a func and do a non-interactive resize once it appears?

I tried this, but the problem is the ButtonGeometry within FvwmIconMan is column dependant -- that is, if you resize the module to a pixel out of a fixed size, the thing doesn't display correctly. While an interactive resize of +5p upwards is possible, the effect that has is to push the thing out of alignment, even with a fair ButtonsGeometry. To my eyes, the 5p gap isn't noticeable..... I suggest we leave it as-is.

Nick Fortune wrote:Got it. It's that old search-and-replace bug again

Menustyle *  Font "Shadow=2 sw:xft:ArialGray80"

Fixed.

Nick Fortune wrote:Doesn't work when I try it here. I think it has a syntax for sending commands to windows based on the selection and focus of the manager. It's quite complex and looks like it might be very powerful if I they'd take a bit more time to explain it properly. but it doesn't honour colorset change requests.

Balls. Oh well, we'll just have to keep it as it is. :)

Nick Fortune wrote:Other things: I get

FvwmIconMan: Already have set the number of managers

in the log file. Doesn't seem to hurt anything, mind.

It's harmless. I'm not sure why it appears, either.

Nick Fortune wrote:Thinking about the pager: you know I was talking about giving it a hotkey toggle? Well it would make sense to only vanish the panel and keep the desk selectors. The sliders could stay and turn into desk scrollers based on window state. This effectively turns the current FvwmButtons into a panel of the selector. We could take that to its logical conclusion and make the sidebars panels as well. That way the rectangular EWMH struts would work with them - if we can ever figure out how to set the window properties - and I get to dispense with a great big mask that does little but add overhead.

Heh. I like this idea. I say go for it. If the worst comes to the worst we could use 'xprop' to change some of the properties (untested)... I won't burden you with the minor changes I've made. I'll wait a bit first... :)

-- Thomas Adam

Nick Fortune
CatCoder
CatCoder

Postby Nick Fortune » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:02 pm

ThomasAdam wrote:
Nick Fortune wrote:Thinking about the pager: you know I was talking about giving it a hotkey toggle? Well it would make sense to only vanish the panel and keep the desk selectors. The sliders could stay and turn into desk scrollers based on window state. This effectively turns the current FvwmButtons into a panel of the selector. We could take that to its logical conclusion and make the sidebars panels as well. That way the rectangular EWMH struts would work with them - if we can ever figure out how to set the window properties - and I get to dispense with a great big mask that does little but add overhead.

Heh. I like this idea. I say go for it. If the worst comes to the worst we could use 'xprop' to change some of the properties (untested)... I won't burden you with the minor changes I've made. I'll wait a bit first... :)

Well if nothing else, it solves the 4 pixel alignment problem - I just declare the control strip with a different aspect ratio to the rest of the structure :D

thomasadam
Administrator
Administrator

Postby thomasadam » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:18 pm

Sounds good to me. I'd be interested in seeing it working... :)

-- Thomas Adam

Nick Fortune
CatCoder
CatCoder

Postby Nick Fortune » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:07 pm

ThomasAdam wrote:Sounds good to me. I'd be interested in seeing it working... :)

Can do. There's a tarfile up in the usual place. The sliders scroll the pager if it's visible, the desktop if the pager is iconic.

The file is intended to be run from the console like the last one. I tried converting it to use StartFunction like a well behaved module, but it wasn't having any of it. I'll keep on that. It's still a bit rough around the edges, but I'll sort that out.

Next thing I'd like to do is the colour/desk themeing. Most of what we want to do can be handled by redefining colorsets 1 and 2. Then, I think, set the terminal invocation function to use $FVWM_TERM_COLOUR or somesuch terms created on desktops match in. I've already got the code to select the colours.

It'd all be a lot easier if red wasn't so overpowering. On the face of it we could say all major colours are colour and all minor colours are colour4. Then we'd only need one string to define a desktop. The trouble is that red is a bit too intense on the desktop grad. So I'm using red4, which means I need a separate colour for the minor shade, which complicates life slightly.

That aside, what major development do we still need to do? Do we need FvwmProxyDefaults or FvwmIconBox? We still need to document the default interface, and I have this mad urge to add popup panels to the LaunchArm on the panel (can you have combination launcher/panels? I'm sure I've seen them, but I can't remember where or I'd snaffle the config), but aside from that, we seem to be getting there.

morbusg
CatCoder
CatCoder

Postby morbusg » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:21 pm

Nick Fortune wrote:I have a strong urge to add some coloured indicator LEDs to the setup. Network interfaces, would be an obvious one ...

I understand this isn't on the top of the todo-list, but I would be very interested to see how that gets done.

Nick Fortune
CatCoder
CatCoder

Postby Nick Fortune » Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:25 pm

morbusg wrote:
Nick Fortune wrote:I have a strong urge to add some coloured indicator LEDs to the setup. Network interfaces, would be an obvious one ...

I understand this isn't on the top of the todo-list, but I would be very interested to see how that gets done.

Heheh - well, it suddenly got a chunk harder, but the plan was something like this:

Fist of all, I had an FvwmButtons with a basic button size of 20x20 pixels. The only things that were that small were the desk selector buttons. However given that I had the resolution available all I'd need is a few 18x18 LED icons. They're quite easy to make in the gimp - just make a circular section and fill it with a radial gradient.

Image Image Image Image

Set up a 20x20 button to use the gray led as an icon. Then you need a script that lurks in the background and monitors, say, CPU heat. Every second it checks the temp and then sends a message to the FvwmButtons to change the icon to green, amber or red, as seems appropriate. There's a SendToModule protocol used by FvwmButtons for just that sort of thing.

Or you could have lights that were gray/red for if a network interface was up or down. Or maybe green for up and red for up and active.

Trouble is the redesign junked the small cell size, so I'd either need to redo the panel arms again or add a new button/form/script just to display the LED so I probably won't do it. But you can make it work from this, I'm sure :D

Nick Fortune
CatCoder
CatCoder

Postby Nick Fortune » Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:55 pm

New tarfile.

I've got the desk-colour co-ordination working. Switch to desk 3 and the panel, taskbar etc turn green. Click on shell and it has a green background. Right click on shell and you get a console, but that's a digression.

It doesn't work if you alt-tab to a different desk. That's a bit of a stumper. I can't use FvwmBacker 'cos it sets the backdrop and it only takes one command per desk. And if I use FvwmEvent the execution order is undefined.

Also sometimes the clock doesn't display a some component of the date, and the clock script file has twice been overwritten with binary junk.

Other than that. it's fine :)

Nick Fortune
CatCoder
CatCoder

Postby Nick Fortune » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:26 pm

oops - a bug in my makefile has been tarring up the directory over my FvwmScript-Biff file, so the last couple of updates haven't been updates at all.

This one should be ok.

thomasadam
Administrator
Administrator

Postby thomasadam » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:47 am

Ok, update and integration of your latest changes are here. It's looking damn good, I have to say. The reason why you weren't able to use StartFunction is because that's destructive, and in that instance as you declared it is run too late from the StartFunction in ~/.fvwm/config. Unless I'm reading what you were trying to do, of course... :)

Everything else seems fine, by the ocassional quirk of the FvwmScript-clock doing what you've already noted. I can't see any noticeable pattern or event which causes it, so I would note it as a known 'bug' and leave it at that.

As far as the limitation of ALT-TAB goes -- you could rewrite the WindowListFunc to call the appropriate helper functions -- this function is executed when an item is selected, so....

What's next? Documentation I guess? :)

-- Thomas Adam

Nick Fortune
CatCoder
CatCoder

Postby Nick Fortune » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:44 am

I've got a couple of integration issues.

How about adding

Style FvwmForm-Setup CenterPlacement

to the initial config. The QuitVerify form could do with it as well.

Style Gecko wants !Sticky adding to it

The clock script doesn't find the perl driver. Looking at the examples, I see they use an invocation of the form

Set $DATADIR = {/usr/local/share/fvwm}
Do {Exec exec perl }$DATADIR{/fvwm-script-clock.pl Clock }$pid{ &}

Where the DATADIR value is apparently set by the build. I don't know if I need to do anything special in the source to make that happen.

It also wasn't flashing the seconds, but just flickering for some reason. Fixed that by changing the way it decided when to flash

The Biff script isn't found at all. This is weird and bizzarre and crazy and I don't understand it at all. When I start it manually with the full path, it still can't find the pixmaps. In my env I find I have

FVWM_MODULEDIR=/usr/lib/fvwm/2.5.12

So maybe it's picking up my main fvwm installation :idea: I get complaints in the log file when I restart:

[FVWM][Done]: <<WARNING>> `Restart fvwm' might not do what you want, see the man page.
        Use Restart without parameters if you mean to restart the same WM.

So: I bet what happens is that I start FVWM with /usr/local/bin/fvwm, but when I restart, because the menu says "restart fvwm" it picks the first fvwm from my path and restarts using that. Suddenly it can't find resources in /usr/local no more.

Not likely to bother many people that, but worth fixing :)

The launcher buttons should be a bit smarter in their choice of application to launch. I think I'll put in a bit of perl to pick the "best" choice from a list.

And then, yeah, documentation I think :D

We're getting there!

[edit]
I tried restarting using the full /usr/local/bin/fvwm path and then using Restart from the console. It still can't find FvwmScript-Biff. So that's probably not it.

Another error as well:

[FVWM][menustyle_parse_old_style]: <<ERROR>> error in WindowList Colorset 1 style specification

I'll have a bit dig, but I have to travel today so I may not get much time.

Nick Fortune
CatCoder
CatCoder

Postby Nick Fortune » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:14 am

I got the mail problem. the icons have changed since I stopped using xbiff.

Now they're mail.xpm and no_mail.xpm rather than the 'orrible xbm bitmaps xbiff requires

thomasadam
Administrator
Administrator

Postby thomasadam » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:29 am

Nick Fortune wrote:How about adding

Style FvwmForm-Setup CenterPlacement

to the initial config. The QuitVerify form could do with it as well.

Done.

Nick Fortune wrote:Style Gecko wants !Sticky adding to it

Done.

Nick Fortune wrote:The clock script doesn't find the perl driver. Looking at the examples, I see they use an invocation of the form

Set $DATADIR = {/usr/local/share/fvwm}
Do {Exec exec perl }$DATADIR{/fvwm-script-clock.pl Clock }$pid{ &}

Where the DATADIR value is apparently set by the build. I don't know if I need to do anything special in the source to make that happen.

It's done in the Makefile. Fixed. What you need to do is call your FvwmScripts-Clock file: FvwmScripts-Clock.in -- I added a clause to the Makefile in $FVWM_SOURCE/modules/FvwmScript/Scripts/Makefile.am which essentially sed's:

xFVWM_DATADIRx

For the actual installation path -- have a look at the files. It then generates FvwmScript-Clock from the .in file as it compiles.

Nick Fortune wrote:It also wasn't flashing the seconds, but just flickering for some reason. Fixed that by changing the way it decided when to flash

Cool.

Nick Fortune wrote:The Biff script isn't found at all. This is weird and bizzarre and crazy and I don't understand it at all. When I start it manually with the full path, it still can't find the pixmaps. In my env I find I have

FVWM_MODULEDIR=/usr/lib/fvwm/2.5.12

I can't reproduce this -- if you want to alter your FvwmScript-Biff as per the FvwmScript-Clocks.in file, do so, if you think it will help.

Nick Fortune wrote:

[FVWM][Done]: <<WARNING>> `Restart fvwm' might not do what you want, see the man page.
        Use Restart without parameters if you mean to restart the same WM.

Fixed.

Nick Fortune wrote:The launcher buttons should be a bit smarter in their choice of application to launch. I think I'll put in a bit of perl to pick the "best" choice from a list.

Yes, sounds good to me.

Nick Fortune wrote:And then, yeah, documentation I think :D

We're getting there!

Absolutely.

Nick Fortune wrote:[edit]
I tried restarting using the full /usr/local/bin/fvwm path and then using Restart from the console. It still can't find FvwmScript-Biff. So that's probably not it.

I'll look into it some more.

Nick Fortune wrote:Another error as well:

[FVWM][menustyle_parse_old_style]: <<ERROR>> error in WindowList Colorset 1 style specification

OK, so maybe you can't pass a colorset to WindowList -- damn.

You can find the latest revision here

I have to go to University now, but will look at this later...

-- Thomas Adam

Return to “General FVWM discussion”