Are Decors really going away?

All questions regarding FVWM that don't fit anywhere else.
nix_newb
Pussycat
Pussycat

Are Decors really going away?

Postby nix_newb » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:21 pm

I had used decors in previous configurations, but then I moved away from them because of the deprecation notice in the FVWM man page. Lately I've been toying with styles for windows that are based on class/resource/etc. That is, using different colors, title styles, fonts, and button coloring for different windows, but simultaneously. So far, Decors are the only way I have been able to accomplish this.

So, are Decors really going away, and if they are, can anyone give me a hint as to how I might have different title styles, button styles, and decorations for different windows? No doubt the answer is stunningly obvious, but it hasn't occurred to me.

somiaj
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Are Decors really going away?

Postby somiaj » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:44 pm

nix_newb wrote:I had used decors in previous configurations, but then I moved away from them because of the deprecation notice in the FVWM man page. Lately I've been toying with styles for windows that are based on class/resource/etc. That is, using different colors, title styles, fonts, and button coloring for different windows, but simultaneously. So far, Decors are the only way I have been able to accomplish this.

So, are Decors really going away, and if they are, can anyone give me a hint as to how I might have different title styles, button styles, and decorations for different windows? No doubt the answer is stunningly obvious, but it hasn't occurred to me.

Fvwm is fairly frozen except for rare feature updates and occasional bug fixes. So for the Fvwm 2.6.x branch use decors as fit as they are what is there. Currently they are one of the only way to group Tittle,Button,Border styles and apply them as a single group via a Style. If you need to use them use them.
-jaimos

nix_newb
Pussycat
Pussycat

Postby nix_newb » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:12 pm

somiaj wrote:Currently they are one of the only way to group Tittle,Button,Border styles and apply them as a single group via a Style.

This is what I was beginning to suspect.

So no idea if they're actually scheduled for removal?

thomasadam
Administrator
Administrator

Postby thomasadam » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:58 pm

nix_newb wrote:
somiaj wrote:Currently they are one of the only way to group Tittle,Button,Border styles and apply them as a single group via a Style.

This is what I was beginning to suspect.

So no idea if they're actually scheduled for removal?

Not in fvwm2. In fvwm3, yes, they'll all disappear.

-- Thomas Adam

Decadentgray
Kitten
Kitten

Postby Decadentgray » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:18 am

Then the next question of course is, if there is an approximation for when fvwm3 will appear, or if there will be some cool new feature superseding decors ;)

To be honest, for years I used e16, and loved the possibilities it brought in regard of window-style, so some kind of new way to define arbitrary parts anywhere looking as you wish (taking a color or pixmap) and bind them as you please would be awesome ;)
Learning lines in the rain - Special effects by lunatic and drinks - Freeze frame, screen kiss - Hot heads, lights and power - It's patently obvious --- She's in parties - It's in the can - she's in parties - It's in the can!!

somiaj
Administrator
Administrator

Postby somiaj » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:48 am

Don't hold your breath waiting for fvwm3.

Fvwm2 is now mostly frozen. Only work I see going on in fvwm2 is bug fixes. Any new features in fvwm2 won't be ground breaking if any more get added.

There has been talk about fvwm3 and if any active development gets done in fvwm it will be in that direction, but that is a big if. At the time I don't think any of the developers are going to start working in that direction.
-jaimos

Decadentgray
Kitten
Kitten

Postby Decadentgray » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:26 pm

Code: Select all

Fvwm2 is now mostly frozen. Only work I see going on in fvwm2 is bug fixes.

That's not bad either, it means in the worst case scenario that a given patch with this functionality wouldn't aim at a moving target ;)
Learning lines in the rain - Special effects by lunatic and drinks - Freeze frame, screen kiss - Hot heads, lights and power - It's patently obvious --- She's in parties - It's in the can - she's in parties - It's in the can!!

Return to “General questions”