Decorations not skipped on some fullscreen windows

I’ve been having this problem for a while now, but since it was relatively minor and FVWM worked wonderfully other than that, I couldn’t be bothered to investigate it. After moving to FVWM3, I though I’d look into it.

I’m trying to convince FVWM not to decorate some fullscreen windows, without much success. This happens mostly, if not entirely, on windows from game applications. Here’s an xprop output from one such window:

_NET_WM_USER_TIME(CARDINAL) = 28195825
_VARIABLE_REFRESH(CARDINAL) = 1
_NET_WM_ICON(CARDINAL) = Icon (128 x 128):

_NET_FRAME_EXTENTS(CARDINAL) = 0, 0, 18, 0
_KDE_NET_WM_FRAME_STRUT(CARDINAL) = 0, 0, 18, 0
_NET_WM_ALLOWED_ACTIONS(ATOM) = _NET_WM_ACTION_CHANGE_DESKTOP, _NET_WM_ACTION_CLOSE, _NET_WM_ACTION_MAXIMIZE_HORZ, _NET_WM_ACTION_MAXIMIZE_VERT, _NET_WM_ACTION_MINIMIZE, _NET_WM_ACTION_MOVE, _NET_WM_ACTION_SHADE, _NET_WM_ACTION_STICK
_NET_WM_ICON_VISIBLE_NAME(UTF8_STRING) = “Space Tail”
_NET_WM_DESKTOP(CARDINAL) = 2
WM_STATE(WM_STATE):
window state: Normal
icon window: 0x0
_NET_WM_VISIBLE_NAME(UTF8_STRING) = “Space Tail”
XdndAware(ATOM) = BITMAP
_NET_WM_NAME(UTF8_STRING) = “Space Tail”
WM_NAME(STRING) = “Space Tail”
WM_PROTOCOLS(ATOM): protocols WM_DELETE_WINDOW, WM_TAKE_FOCUS
_NET_WM_BYPASS_COMPOSITOR(CARDINAL) = 1
_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE(ATOM) = _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_NORMAL
_NET_WM_PID(CARDINAL) = 321007
WM_LOCALE_NAME(STRING) = “en_US.UTF-8”
WM_CLASS(STRING) = “Space Tail.x86_64”, “Space Tail.x86_64”
WM_HINTS(WM_HINTS):
Client accepts input or input focus: True
window id # of group leader: 0xdeb0df
WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
user specified location: 0, 0
WM_CLIENT_MACHINE(STRING) = “debian”
_MOTIF_WM_HINTS(_MOTIF_WM_HINTS) = 0x2, 0x0, 0x1, 0x0, 0x0

As far as I can see (although I’m not sure I’m interpreting it correctly), the last line should instruct FVWM not to decorate the window if the MwmDecor style is used. I have this style (along with MwmFunctions, MwmBorder) applied globally, yet this window is still decorated.

Any ideas or comments are most welcome.

Do you mean a window with no title bar and icon buttons? I am using the Kise fullscreen function. This maximizes with no title bar and unmaximizes the current window.

DestroyFunc ToggleMaximize
AddToFunc ToggleMaximize
+ I Current (Maximized) WindowStyle Title, Border
+ I Current (!Maximized) WindowStyle !Title, Borders
+ I UpdateStyles
+ I Current Maximize ewmhiwa
+ I Style ScreenDLaunch StaysOnTop, NeverFocus

Thank you for your response, but I’m afraid I wasn’t clear enough. I’m not trying to make a specific window fullscreen. My problem is that certain applications, usually games, or other such applications that want all the screen to themselves, create a window that is equal in size to the screen and usually specify somehow that it is “full-screen” to keep the window manager from decorating it and repositioning it. If FVWM applies decorations to such a window, such as a title bar, it pushes part of the window below the screen and generally looks wrong.

Some fullscreen windows, for instance Firefox, once you’ve gone fullscreen with F11, work fine. I suppose this is because it has the following atom applied:

_NET_WM_STATE(ATOM) = _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN

On others though and particularly on windows created by some game applications, FVWM does add decorations, making it necessary to reposition the window to cover the whole screen and push the title bar out the top edge. It is this problem I want to address.

You could simply use styles for those full-screen applications that do not follow standards.

Style foo !Title, NoHandles, BorderWidth 0

Where foo is the name of the game. That should do it.

That’s what I’ve been doing up to now, but it requires xprop-ing the window and editing the configuraiton for each misbehaving application. Given that other window managers do the right thing on their own, I assume it is possible. This is not a complaint against FVWM, just a basis for my assumption that it should be possible to do this automatically.

I’ve also seen this topic

where using the MwmDecor style could configure FVWM to do the right thing for a window with a similar value for the _MOTIF_WM_HINTS atom, which I believe requests no decorations amongst other things. Unfortunately, this does not seem to be working for me, but I was hoping I was simply missing some other piece of the puzzle.