Direct the mouse click on a window to the root window

I want aterm to show my system messages on the root window (as if it was part of the wallpaper). I am able to to this with a transparent aterm:

[code]AddToFunc StartFunction

• I Test (init) Exec exec aterm -tr +sb -sh 95 -geometry 150x30-0+0 -e tail -f /var/log/problem.log
    Style aterm !Title,!Borders,StickyAcrossPages,NeverFocus,StaysOnBottom[/code]

Nevertheless, aterm window captures mouse cliks. Is there a style option (or some alternative) that directs the mouse click on the aterm window to the root window?

Thanks!

Update: I have been able to simulate it by giving the same mouse bingins to aterm and root windows:

Mouse 3 R A Menu Main Mouse (aterm) 3 W A Menu Main

This is not a proper answer to your question, but a different solution…
you can use conky a very lightweight system monitor that do exactly what you need, it draws text to the desktop background.
you can reach it here and see some screenshots…
hope this helps…

Yes, this is the correct way. There is no way to explicitly pass the click to an arbitrary window, such as the root window. The click is never implied to reach there.

– Thomas Adam

Thanks very much for the answers!

I have found in conky man’s page the following variable:

tail logfile lines (interval)

Similar to:

tail -f /var/log/problem.log

I have now aterm showing in the root window and (with the above trick) looks like it is drawn on the root window. I will nevertheless explore conky.

Cheers! :smiley:

Why? There’s always root-tail.

– Thomas Adam

root-tail is extremely slow, at least in this box. When you move a window, you can see it redrawing for 2 or 3 seconds. Not to talk about cpu usage…

Conky is also extrremely heavy when you use fancy features, like that gradient graphs, top monitors or tail fetures.

Conclussion: urxvtc + tail is the best bet for me.

I have finally got conky and root-tail. The CPU consumption on high peeks is the following:

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND 6088 mimosinn 15 0 5344 1440 1080 S 0.3 0.1 0:01.89 conky 6084 mimosinn 15 0 2872 1152 956 S 0.3 0.1 0:00.37 root-tail

And my cpu:

# cat /proc/cpuinfo processor : 0 vendor_id : AuthenticAMD cpu family : 6 model : 10 model name : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+ stepping : 0 cpu MHz : 2087.480 cache size : 256 KB

Cheers!