EdgeScroll and graphics tablet?

Hello,

I have a graphics tablet and a mouse as input devices. Now from my mouse-only times I am used to the EdgeScroll behaviour. But with the tablet it’s quite useless, as that uses absolute screen coordinates, so when I touch the edge, it scrolls all screens in that direction (kinda hard to explain… as the cursor doesn’t wrap around but stays at the edge it touched, it immediately scrolls another screen until it reaches the outermost edge).

As it is possible to differentiate between the different input devices (mouse, pen…; the GIMP does that, for example) I’d like to configure fvwm to edgescroll/not edgescroll depending on which input device I use. Does anyone have any ideas on that?

Sounds like an interesting problem, I take it you’ve tried to play with EdgeResistance?
The manpage says “FvwmAuto can be used get a delay when raising or lowering windows”, made we wonder if it were possible to delay the pagescroll with that, too.
I don’t really know, I don’t recall ever using that option, so these are just ideas.
I don’t think you can differentiate input devices in that way for X/fvwm, but I don’t know for certain.

Well, I want instant screen switching, so EdgeResistance is not the solution…

And you are right, there doesn’t seem to be a way to differentiate input devices in FVWM. GIMP etc. use Xinput for that, and FVWM doesn’t use it. Now I had the idea of writing an FVWM module that uses Xinput and changes some FVWM settings depending on the used input device.

It just occured to me that I think that you should ask this question in fvwm-workers list! I use a Wacom tablet myself, but never used edgescroll (or automagic “warping” at all, come to think of it).