FvwmIconMan question

Hey Guys, first post here.

I’ve been using fvwm for quite a long time, pretty loyal to it. I’ve been using FvwmIconMan with FvwmButtons to create a w95-ish task bar. Say what you want about Windows, but I do like that old style task bar.

Anyway I’ve decided to locate all my controls on the right side of the screen instead of the left. I’m able to do that no problem with one exception. I can’t find a way to get the FvwmIconMan to fill the horizontal bar from right to left instead of left to right. Anyone know of a way to do that?

I don’t think you can directly do what you want with FvwmIconMan. My understanding is the only options allow you to grow either down and to the right. Since you are swallowing this into FvwmButtons I think you can get around this as follows. First set FvwmIconMan to grow horizontally with *FvwmIconMan: ManagerGeometry 1x0, this will make FvwmIconMan grow to the right as you add Icons.

When you swallow this inside of FvwmButtons, make the button align to the Right. This way the FvwmIconManager will be aligned as you want on the right, and if you add/remove windows it will grow. The only draw back of this is if you add to many windows (icons) it will grow outside of the size of the button in FvwmButtons.

This is the only way I can think of without patching FvwmIconMan to grow in other directions than down and right.

jaimos

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I’m able to get FvwmIconMan to grow to the left in horizontal mode by butting it up against the right side of the screen. I think it sees it can’t grow right so it grows left. That’s without swallowing it with FvwmButtons. However I’m having trouble when I do tell FvmwButtons to swallow it. Sounds like I’m missing the right justified part. I’m going to play with it and hopefully I’ll figure out how to do that. Getting there.

Ha, got it working. Looks just like I want now, menu button on right and IconMan growing to to the left from the menu button.