GTK apps losing pointer location on xmodmap switching

So, specifically, my audio player Audacious (though evince and all other GTK apps do the same thing) will forget the location of the pointer once I primary-click with a mouse set to left-handed use.

I enter the command: xmodmap -e “pointer 3 2 1 4 5 6 7 8 9”
and click the top of the window to move it. Now, if I click anywhere else, it does not accept the new pointer position until I secondary-click.

This is also sometimes the case with setting a right-handed mouse with ‘xmodmap -e “pointer 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9”’

This has only recently (as of about 1. December) been a problem (though, as a gentoo user, there’s a bit of delay in versions).

Anyway, can you advise on what’s going wrong?

Thanks,

EE

Same question, I see…

You’ll need to be more specific – how are you moving the window, what behaviour is it you’re seeing which you don’t like? I still can’t quite guess from your description WTF you’re on about.

– Thomas Adam

ohai there! Nice to see some other gentoo people here. Anyway, here’s exactly what I do:

1. xmodmap -e “pointer = 3 2 1 4 5 6 7 8 9” is in my .xsession file, setting the mouse left-handed on login.
  2. I start Audacious (for example; it could be evince as well)
  3. Audacious has a playlist window, which I have set open. The playlist does not have a separate icon in IconMan, nor does it appear on the pager (if that matters)
  4. I primary-click the title bar of either window of Audacious, and drag it into position (in the corner or whatever).
  5. from this point on, Audacious will respond as if the pointer is still positioned over that window’s title bar, regardless of where else on either window I click
  6. to re-set the pointer position, I have to secondary-click somewhere on either window
  7. this behavior persists even if I change to a different desktop and back, interact with other windows, etc.
  8. If I set ‘xmodmap -e “pointer = 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9”’ from the console (or in .xsession), this behavior does not occur (but now the mouse is right-handed, which I do not want).

So far as I can tell, this occurs only with gtk apps, only under fvwm, and only since about 1. December (or therabouts; I don’t restart my wm every day).

I hope that clarifies the situation a bit. Any guesses what’s going on here?

Thanks,

EE

arrgh! I spoke too soon: this also occurs under GNOME. so, uh, crap. I guess this isn’t a problem specific to fvwm. Shall we move back to the gentoo forum?

Sorry for the cross-post shame

EE

Get come xev(1) output for the window you’re moving. But at this point, unless it’s FVWM’s problem, I care not to look in to it.

I am not a Gentoo user, by the way.

– Thomas Adam