handles and borders

Pretty new to fvwm, been poking through the man page between trying to work…

I’m trying to understand the relationship between borders and handles. If I understand correctly, handles are just the things in the corners (grips?), and if the are present, then the border gets its style from the handles. Assuming that is correct:

1. can you set a style for one side of the border, such as making the bottom border bigger or a different color?

2. Is it possible for the handles to be a different color than the border? and different width?

3. HiddenHandles doesn’t seem to be working for me, I have it as

+ BorderStyle HiddenHandles

in the Decor that I’m using. Is that not right? How to get rid of the line.

That’s if for now.
[/code]

Kind of. They almost necessitate one another. Although unless specified, the border width will be the same as the handlewidth.

You can once I release the patch to do it. I’ve almost completed it now.

See above.

You need “NoInset” in there as well:

+ BorderStyle -- NoInset HiddenHandles

– Thomas Adam

I think you need it like:
BorderStyle – HiddenHandles

the “–” fixed the hiddenhandle thing, I can’t really tell a difference with NoInset. I’m looking forward to your patch :slight_smile:

You would tell the difference if you used:

+ BorderStyle simple

in your decor.

– Thomas Adam

That was me that wrote that patch. I’m not releasing at the present time.

– Thomas Adam

Did the patch allowing four borders to be different get merged? If so, how to enable the style? If not, are there alternative choices? Sorry, I am newbie and not familiar to the manual of FVWM (especially the section of Style, which is difficult to search for keywords).

Officially, no. But see:

github.com/fvwmorg/fvwm/tree/ta/multiborder

That is, the ta/multiborder branch in git.

Thanks for the quick reply. Do you know the reason that the patch did not accepted by mainstream? Does it consume a lot memory or like?

1. Because I haven’t cleaned the code up.
  2. It breaks UseBorder Style
  3. There’s too many Pixmaps used (Graphics Contexts)

– Thomas