Is it possible to run fvwm locally and remotely via vncviewer

Is it possible to run fvwm locally and remotely via vncviewer

I am running Ubuntu fvwm on my laptop and I want to vncviewer into a remote Linux machine at work which is also running fvwm. The problem is
the keybindings for Resize in my .fvwm2rc:
Mouse 3 AT M Resize
is the same for both the laptop and remote Linux machine and the one my laptop takes precedence so it won’t resize the xterm on the remote
Linux machine but resize my vncviewer itself on my laptop instead. I already went to the vncviewer Properties and set the “GrabKeyboard”
parameter to 2, which should grab the vncviewer application xterm window on the remote Linux but it doesn’t. If I run Ubuntu GNOME instead
of fvwm on my laptop, everything works, ie even when I set the key/mouse bindings for the “Resize” to be the same for my laptop GNOME as well
as for the remote fvwm. But it doesn’t work if I have fvwm running locally on my laptop and remotely at work inside vncviewer even when
“GrabKeyboard=2”. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Hi @pilgrim333

Unfortunately this is a limitation with VNC. There’s no way for the local fvwm instance to differentiate the bindings remotely. You might be able to find a client which does grab the keyboard, but there’s no guarantee that’d work reliably.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.