Java App (Intellij) flashing issues

Hi FVWM-ers,
I’m running Arch and FVWM with Compton as a compositor currently, on a macbook pro. So far things worked overall nice. I have a config that I put together 15 years ago, and it never let me down.

Recently I started to use Intellij IDEA, a Java IDE heavily. There is an annoying problem, that some components, typically context-menus and popups show some flashing before stably coming up on the screen. This means that they appear-disappear, 1-2 flashes, then stay. This is rather disturbing, and the most upsetting thing is that I started Gnome on the same laptop, and there is no blinking whatsoever, everything works smoothly. NB: I also started FVWM with scrathing my config, and still had the issues.

I was hoping that someone on the list could give me suggestions on how to fix this.

Thanks,
Szabolcs

My .xinitrc is practically:

xrdb -load $HOME/.Xresources
Esetroot -fit ~/.fvwm/wallpaper/arch_linux_solarized.jpg
compton -b --backend glx --paint-on-overlay --vsync opengl-swc --glx-no-stencil --shadow-exclude  "g:a:Fvwm"
xbindkeys
exec fvwm 

Java apps are known to sometimes cause problems, but this is one I’ve not seen before.

First I would make sure it is not compton getting in the way, and see if you still have the flashing without compton running.

Second, The Style Lenience has been known to help with Java programs and dealing with focus. I’m unsure if the blinking has anything to do with this, but you could try that style and see if helps.

Last look at all the Transient window styles, maybe one of them will help (maybe in conjunction with Lenience) to help make these what sound like transient windows not flash when they pop up.

You are right, I actually should have checked this further. Compton --fade-exclude 'class_g = "jetbrains*"' solved the issue!