Problem configuring fvwm 2.5.12

Hi,

I am new to fvwm and am facing a few problems configuring fvwm.

Firstly alt+tab works very stragely. If I open any new window and do an alt+tab, it gets lost, i.e. it appears in the list shown on doing alt tab but I cannot make it visible. If I minimise the window atleast once befoe using alt+tab the al+tab works fine.

Secondly sometimes when I click on the thumbnail only the tilte bar appears and the rest of the window cannot be seen.

And finally assigning mini icons works for gain, ater and rox, but not for thunderbrd, gftp or firefox.

Any help will be appretiated.

Shishk

What version of Fvwm are you using, most people nowadays seem to be using 2.5.12? As I don’t have any of the problems you seem to have. You also seem to be using taviso’s config (or one of it’s derivates) so I don’t know about the thumbnailing problem, but it could be because you’re running an old(er) version of Fvwm.

About the Icon problem, you may need to set the EwmhMiniIconOverride style on the apps that otherwise refuse to have their miniicon changed.

Cheers

tBD

[~]$ fvwm --version
fvwm 2.5.12 compiled on Jan 18 2005 at 23:04:32
with support for: ReadLine, XPM, PNG, Shape, XShm, SM, Xinerama, XRender, XFT, NLS

Also I realized that the second problem i mentioned i.e only the tile bar becoming visible when coming out of thumbnail mode occurs when I use alt+tab to send a window into the thumbnail.

As for the miniincons, this is what I use:
Style gftp* EWMHMiniIconOverride, MiniIcon dock5/ftp.png
but get no mini icon.
but if I do
Style * EWMHMiniIconOverride, MiniIcon dock5/ftp.png
all icons get the ftp mini icon.

Shishk

Are you sure gftp’s window class is “gftp”, here it’s “gFTP”? You can check this with FvwmIdent.

I can’t help you with the alt-tab thingy as I don’t really use alt+tab, in fact, I barely ever minimize windows… But when I did use it I didn’t have the problems you describe, might be something specific to the thumbnailing function or so…not really sure…

Thanks that did solve my miniicon problem. But I am still stuck with the alt+tab problem.

Anyway culd you tell me how to configure fvwm so that a double click puts a window in shade mode (like in fluxbox).

Thanks
Shishk

I use a function to do just that:

[code]AddToFunc MoveOrShade

• I Raise
  • M Move
  • D WheelToggleShade toggle[/code]
    I’ve bound this to the titlebar:
Mouse 1 T A MoveOrShade

A single click raises the window, dragging moves it and a double click shades it :slight_smile: