RootTransparent does not work

Hello
I’m trying to make my pager transparent. I had some colorset with the “rootTransparent” option but it does not work out. I really don’t know why. I’m using a 2.5.23 fvwm and fbsetbg to set my wallpaper.
Here is what I got in my .xsessions-error:

[FVWM][style_parse_and_set_window_style]: <<ERROR>> Bad style option: RootTransparent [FVWM][__execute_function]: <<ERROR>> No such command 'CirculateSkipIcon,'
Does anyone could tell me how I could solve this error?
Thx in advance

Sure. I can only guess (since you haven’t actually posted your config — something you need to do), but “RootTransparent” is not a style, it’s something that goes along with the Colorset definition, a la:

Colorset n fg blah, bg blah, sh blah, tint blah, RootTransparent

Whereas, given the error message, you’ve obviously tried something like:

Style something RootTransparent

That’s clearly wrong.

As to “CirculateSkipIcon”, that’s a style condition as in:

Style foo CirculateSkipIcon

Whereas, I suspect (guessing again, remember) you’ve actually tried to do:

+ I CirculateSkipIcon

(See the advantage of uploading your config file somewhere yet?)

– Thomas Adam

Thanks, I’ve corrected that point. But in fact it still does not work even if I use RootTransparent with some of my colorset. I will upload my config as soon as I, first, think it could be “showed” (I am very new to fvwm) and, second, find a place to upload it.

Yes, thks. I will work to correct my file and try to find a place to upload it. I will try to find some time to clean it up and then eventually will beg an upload place somewhere :slight_smile:

Quite. Which is why no one can do a thing until we see it. If you need a place to put it, let me know via a PM and I can host it for you.

– Thomas Adam

I have my pager with root transparency. These are my settings:

Colorset 50 RootTransparent

[code]DestroyModuleConfig FvwmPager: *
FvwmPager: Colorset * 50
FvwmPager: HilightColorset * 50
FvwmPager: WindowColorsets 50 50
FvwmPager: MiniIcons
FvwmPager: BalloonColorset * 50
FvwmPager: Font none
FvwmPager: SmallFont 5x8
FvwmPager: Balloons All
FvwmPager: BalloonFont "xft:mintsstrong;-artwiz-mintsstrong--
-
-
-8-
-
-
-
-
-iso8859-15"
*FvwmPager: BalloonYOffset +2
*FvwmPager: BalloonBorderWidth 1
*FvwmPager: UseSkipList
*FvwmPager: MoveThreshold 0
*FvwmPager: SolidSeparators
*FvwmPager: WindowLabelFormat “”
*FvwmPager: WindowBorderWidth 3
*FvwmPager: Geometry 90x90+0+0

Module FvwmPager 0 #Desktop 0[/code]

Cheers!

Hello
As I can’t see any valuable reason in my config explaining the non-transparency of my pager and titlebar, I re-compile the patched version of the 2.5.23 which can be found here: abdn.ac.uk/~u15dm4/fvwm/
And it works perfectly fine…If only SuSe takes a patched version like Gentoo does…

RootTransparent is on fvwm itself, no need to patch anything. The only patch I know that is about transparencies is taviso’s menu translucency patch, that that is just for that: menu translucency. I don’t know since when is RootTransparent available, so maybe you were using on old version which did not support it.

Regardless, if you want real transparency on menus you need to patch FVWM regardless. Distro independant.

– Thomas Adam

I am wondering if root-transparency can be applied to window borders. I apply this colorset:

Colorset 8 fg Contrast, bg Black, RootTransparent

Window borders get the background colour, but not RootTransparency.

Cheers!