Snap Attraction Broken?

When I upgraded to fvwm 2.5.12, snap attraction seemed to break. It will work when I first start/restart fvwm, but then it quickly stops working (acts like it is off).

Also, on a [probably] unrelated note, fvwm randomly exits after being on a long time.

I have this relevant line in my config file:

SnapAttraction 10

Everything works fine by me (fvwm-2.5.12), using:

SnapAttraction 5 SameType Screen

So my guess is that you either have something in your config that messes with snapattraction or that your Fvwm install is broken

About the Fvwm crash, there might be some function that misbehaves or your Fvwm install is effectively broken.

Yeah, I do have some pretty crazy scripts. But nothing like this until I upgraded to this version.

Hmm… Well I just found out that the situation works like this:

I have this:

[code]Mouse 1 T N Generic Raise Move Maximize
Mouse 1 WSFTI M Generic Focus Move Iconify

DestroyFunc Generic
AddToFunc Generic

• I $0
  • M $1
  • D $2[/code]
    Now, Mouse 1 on the titlebar always snap attracts, but Alt + Mouse 1 anywhere on the window only snap attracts the FIRST time that I do it to the window. After that, it no longer works on that window until I restart.

Then, I changed it to Control + Mouse 1:

Mouse 	1       WSFTI	C	Generic Focus Move Iconify

And it works fine! So, somehow the Alt is screwing up the snap attraction.

Also, sometimes when I restart, the titlebar on firefox just disappears!

While holding Alt, SnapAttraction is deactivated by default.

Really?? How do I change that setting?

You can’t, AFAIK. But then, if you ask me, it is a useful feature.

– Thomas Adam

It’s a useful feature if it’s configurable. Otherwise, it’s pretty damn stupid.

It does depend how often you find yourself idly holding down the ALT key while dragging window with the mouse. Of course, as you now know this to cause issues, you can stop doing it. :slight_smile:

– Thomas Adam

Uh, I use Alt + Mouse for move and resize, just like Gnome and KDE do. It’s a very common practice for many people, and now because of some dumb issue with fvwm I have to switch winkey and meta around in all my fvwm bindings. lame.

You can just start the resize/move with alt down, and then release it to allow snapping.

Ah, that hadn’t occured to me. Thanks!

I had been noticing this issue (using Alt+mouse to move, no snappy) and finally decided to see if anyone else had had the same issue. I agree with apberzerk that this should be configurable. Maybe a better solution would be to pass an argument to Move to specify whether/how it should snap?

Yeah, that would be nice. I’ve gotten used to it though. I just let go of Alt after clicking on it. Works fine.