start an app at a specific position

hi!
is there a way (without using FvwmEvent and checking on window creation) to tell an application to always start at a specific position, for example at 1300,0?

thanks in advance!

Not unless the application supports a “-geometry” option, then no. The only other option you have, is to launch such a program via Fvwm (say, a menu or FvwmButtons) with a Function:

[code]AddToFunc FuncStartPlacement

• I Exec exec $0
  • I Wait $0
  • I Next ($0) Move 0p 1300p[/code]

For instance, and then do:

FuncStartPlacement <myapplication>

What is it, though, that you have against FvwmEvent? Don’t tell me it’s slow, because it isn’t.

– Thomas Adam

hey! you’re an extremely fast answer-machine! :wink:
BIG thanks!

yep. i asked just out of curiosity. before fvwm i used fluxbox and there was an ~/.fluxbox/apps file, where i could specify it among other things.

no, no! don’t get me wrong, i don’t think so. it’s not slow, you’re right. the solution with FvwmEvent and -geometry came instantly to my mind, so i was after other methods and mentioned it to not get these answers :wink:

No worries. I made a slight error in the function. It should read:

[code]AddToFunc FuncStartPlacement

• I Exec exec $0
  • I Wait $0
  • I Next ($0) Move 0p 1300p[/code]

Without the “Next” part, the move command is out of context. The use of “$0” implies that the window name upon mapping will have the same name as the program, and this might not always be the case. So watch out for that, if it barfs.

:slight_smile: That’s alright. Have fun with it. The only reason you might want to use FvwmEvent in place of the function above is if you launch, say, mplayer from the command-line. Clearly, it’ll only work in this situation if you invoke your application(s) from a menu in Fvwm, or FvwmButtons, or what have you.

– Thomas Adam