StartsOnDesk being ignored (or so I think)

I’m experiencing an issue where Thunderbird’s compose window (Resource: Msgcompose) will start on the last desk it existed on (meaning if I start a new Msgcompose window on Desk 0, move it to Desk 1 and click send, the next time I initiate a new Msgcompose window, the window (and my focus) goes to Desk 1).

I have tried various settings ([!]UsePPosition, StartsOnDesk c, etc.), but the behavior does not change.

I’d like these Msgcompose windows to start where my mouse is (i.e. “Style Msgcompose StartsOnScreen c”). Can someone please point out what I may be missing?

Thanks.

BugOpts ExplainWindowPlacement On

And put your FVWM config somewhere for me to see.

– Thomas Adam

Thanks for your reply. Here’s the output from a new Msgcompose window before I move it to a different desk:

[fvwm][__explain_placement]: placed new window 0x2e00c88 'Write: (no subject)': initial size 1366x820 desk 0 (current desk) current page screen: current screen: 3 30 1567x840 (specified by style) (screen area modified by EWMH working area) position 103 30, placed by fvwm (normal placement) placement method: TileCascade
And the output for a new Msgcompose window after it lived on a different desk:

[fvwm][__explain_placement]: placed new window 0x2e00c88 'Write: (no subject)': initial size 1366x820 desk 1 (specified by style) (switched to desk) current page screen: current screen: 3 30 1567x840 (specified by style) (screen area modified by EWMH working area) position 3 39, placed by fvwm (normal placement) placement method: TileCascade
I find it interesting that it’s placed on desk 1 “by style”.

I’m using FVWM-crystal, so my configuration is split into a number of files. I don’t want to simply tar things up and say “here you go, have fun”. Can you let me know specifically what you’d want to see (beyond what I have below)?

Style Thunderbird       !UsePPosition, EWMHNoMiniIconOverride
[..]
Style * StartsOnScreen c

Thanks!

I’ll overlook your use of fvwm-crystal just this once – feel free to send me a tarball of everything and I’ll take a look. I bet you any money it will be due to the following, and Fvwm-Crystal lagging:

mail-archive.com/fvwm-worker … 02603.html

But I won’t know without looking at your config.

– Thomas Adam

I appreciate that, thanks. I must admit Crystal is a bit much to get a grasp on… I simply want the ability to quickly change the colors, window decorations, etc. Is there an easier “more native” way of doing that? (I can start a separate thread for this if it’s an involved answer…)

Back on topic, though, I can definitely provide a copy of the config. Where do you want me to send/post it?

You can do it for yourself, from scratch…

thomas@fvwm.org

– Thomas Adam