Swallow same app on 2 different buttons doesn't always work

Swallow sometimes does not swallow when I have the same application (xclock, FvwmPager, and xload) being swallowed by 2 different buttons. The application is left on the root window and the button that it should be on is blank. This usually occurs when the system is especially busy. The following message was placed in the startx logfile:
‘MiniButtons: Window 0x1a00008 (“FvwmPager”) was grabbed by someone else (window 0xc00001)’

It appears that two buttons are competing for the same app. It’s not a huge problem, just an annoyance. I just restart fvwm (sometimes twice) and things are fine. Any help is appreciated. Part of my .fvwm2rc file is below.

Thanks, Skip.

[code]*FvwmButtons (1x1, Swallow XClock ‘Exec exec xclock -padding 0 -hl black -hands black -fg black -bg khaki9’)
*FvwmButtons (2x1, Swallow xload ‘Exec exec xload -fg yellow7 -update 5 &’)
*FvwmButtons: (Icon mini-question.xpm , Padding 0, Panel(up,indicator,smooth,delay 0) MiniButtons “Module FvwmButtons -g -30000-30000 -transientpanel MiniButtons”)
FvwmButtons (3x1, Swallow “FvwmPager” FvwmPager 0 1 )

and

*MiniButtons: (3x3, Swallow XClock ‘Exec exec xclock -padding 0 -hl black -hands black -fg black -bg $[MiniButtonBack]’)
*MiniButtons: (5x3, Swallow “FvwmPager” FvwmPager 0 1 )
*MiniButtons: (3x2, Swallow xload ‘Exec exec xload -fg yellow7 -update 5 -bg grey20’)
[/code]

If you really want to swallow two different FvwmPagers you should give at least one of them another name by specifying an alias, so you’d start it for example like this:

+ I FvwmPager MyPager * *

Would aliasing be required for xload and xclock? Because I have the same problem sometimes with them.

Providing a different name is always a good idea if you are going to try to swallow two instances of the same program, otherwise you can get odd and unpredictable results.