VMware is "sticky" although it has not been defined

No. I posted those patches and ebuilds long ago, and they have been working fine since .23, when they needed the latest modifications (since then there’s been only versions bumps).

I will test deeply later, but you can see someone that had the same problem on that thread from the Gentoo bugzilla, and I re-tested them again, and they worked. Just like they work now.

As long as you pick the correct ebuild and version of the patches, all should work. Nonetheless, I will test them -once again- later.

@6thpink, you were right. Something must have gone wrong, I fetched the files again and it compiled clean.

So, this is what I have now [ph030@ph][~] fvwm --version fvwm 2.5.25 compiled on Mar 27 2008 at 00:32:32 with support for: ReadLine, XPM, PNG, SVG, Shape, XShm, SM, Xinerama, XRender, XCursor, XFT, NLS.

Still, the problem is with VMware is the same as before the update. I tried the given Style-lines and the ‘Pick Slippery’-thing in various combinations, always the same and nothing changes.

Just to make clear what I meant with ‘fullscreen’: I didn’t meant running the vmware-window itself in fullscreen - like by applying ‘maximize’ - I mean the emulated OS itself, so that it looks like a normal (in my case) Windows XP. Maybe this has been misunderstood, fullscreen like ‘maximize’ works without problems.

What I find quite strange: I played a little with the fullscreen-pager(from one of the threads around here) and there’s only one vmware-window shown.
A little graphic for the better understanding:

[ 1l | 1r ] [ 2l | 2r ] [ 3l | 3r ] - this is the horizontal layout, where 2 monitors make 1 page and there are 3 pages from left to right. The same goes in the down-direction, so it goes in a grid from 1l in the upper left to 9r in the lower right - I hope you understand :slight_smile:

So, I have a terminal on 1l. From it, I start the vmware-session in fullscreen, so that this is also on 1l, but above the term. If I do alt+tab to switch, the term gets selected, but doesn’t get raised, althoug I implied that in my switching-function. When I move the cursor downwards, reaching 4l, vmware “goes” with me. If I then invoke the fullscreen-pager, I see the vmware-window only on 4l and the term on 1l. So in my understanding, vmware is always on the highest level or even - if I can name it like that - generates an “overlay” for itself.

So if Thomas understand correctly what I meant with fullscreen and it’s still working ok for him, then I guess I’m really out of luck. The question would be, is this a bug in FVWM and should be reported or is this an issue with VMware?

thanks again so far for your help, it’s very much appreciated, although it didn’t solve my problem, yet,
ph

It’s not a bug in FVWM.

Now you’re throwing spanners in the works left, right, and centre. So when you said to me:

And I diligently ran just that, and had the VMWare window in fullscreen, and switched pages and the window remained slippery (not sticky), what you really meant was nothing to do with that?

Brilliant.

So now clarify for me what you do mean. Are you referring to the vmware window or not?

– Thomas Adam

Have you created successfully a emulated OS, i.e. WinXP and if so, does this (WinXP) automatically start in fullscreen, when you enter my command above?

If yes, then I mean the WinXP-window, which goes sticky. WinXPs host window aka VMware isn’t the real problem. Sorry if I’m not able to better describe what I mean :frowning: