2.5.14 won't make

Hi, I am a relative Linux newbie, but even so I have begun on Slackware with FVWM. My Slack 10.2 installation came with FVWM 2.4.19, but I want to upgrade to 2.5.x due to its added features. I downloaded the 2.5.14 source, read through the INSTALL and INSTALL.fvwm files and proceeded. ./configure seemed to process correctly, but make resulted in several warnings and 2 errors:

... PictureGraphics.c:1219: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules ... Colorset.c: In function `SetWindowBackgroundWithOffset': Colorset.c:239: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules ... Colorset.c: In function `CreateBackgroundPixmap': Colorset.c:421: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules ... FBidi.c: In function `FBidiIsApplicable': FBidi.c:38: error: `FRIBIDI_CHARSET_NOT_FOUND' undeclared (first use in this function) ... FBidi.c: In function `FBidiConvert': FBidi.c:72: error: `FRIBIDI_CHARSET_NOT_FOUND' undeclared (first use in this function) ... make: *** [all] Error 2
(That first warning specified a function too, it was past the top of rxvt’s buffer. Each warning had several of the same on different lines.)

What can I do to get this to compile? I can provide more or all of the output if necessary. I’ve a working knowledge of C++ and a basic understanding of how make/makefile works, I’m just hesitant to delve into this without some guidance.

versions prior to 2.5.15 (not released yet) does not support fribidi version 0.10.5, but only 0.10.4. If you don’t need bidirect text support you can disable fribidi with the --disable-bidi configure option.

Well, that was easier than I anticipated, thanks. So the warnings aren’t anything to be concerned about?

The warnings aren’t, but the errors… well, yes. :slight_smile:

– Thomas Adam