Black screen on fvwm, I can't see anything

I’ve installed some days ago fvwm2 on Gentoo x86. Everything works fine… I believe.

I can’t see anyting, the screen i s completely black, but three icons on the upper left corner.

This happened after installing the nvidia drivers for my graphic card. After that, I modified the device section on /etc/x11/xorg.conf:

... Section "Device" Identifier "TNT2" Driver "nvidia" Option "NoLogo" "1" #VideoRam 32768 EndSection ...

How can I solve it?

Thanks in advance

I assume that fvwm is running. Can you see a menu if you click on the root window?

– Thomas Adam

Yes, fvwm is running, because I can see some things, like a digital clock on the corner upper right, and some icons on the upper left.

If I click on the menu upper left, I can see it, but as I navigate through the submenues, they put one over the previous one.

I can also open shells by left clicking on the desktop, the cursor changes when it’s on them.

The problem is that I can’t see almost anything.

Menu in the upper left corner sounds like the default twm setup to me…

But if everything is black you might want to check your RgbPath in you X configuration file :slight_smile:

You can see a screenshot here:

members.fortunecity.es/lopez/

$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf | grep rgb RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb" $ ls /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/ | grep rgb rgb.txt

I adapted xorg.conf to that path but nothing changed, so I turned back it to the beginning.

It’s

RgbPath    "/usr/lib/X11/rgb"

on my Gentoo system.

Besides that you might want to set another wallpaper, though I don’t know the Fvwm Crystal way of going about that.

You might also want to try the “nv” drivers for you nvidia card and see if that helps any>

Thanks to harnir (Fvwm Crystal author) for the hints.

Incredible :open_mouth: ¡that worked!

I just changed back the driver from “nvidia” to “nv” and all turned back to normality. It’s maybe the nvidia propietary driver incompatible with fvwm or fvwm-crystal?

Thanks, guys!

I’d rather think it’s incompatible with your TNT2, if I remember correctly NVidia never put that much effort in getting it to work with the older TNT2 chipset… It works just fine with my GeForce4 though :slight_smile: