cant gain access to fvwm

Hi All –

I am a newbie to the world of Linux, and even more so to FVWM. My question is simple so I’m sorry for wasting anyones time, but I need help for a project at work, and so… any help would be appreciated.

I am running Fedora Core 4. I want to be able to go to the login screen, and instead of picking GNOME, I want to be able to pick FVWM and use it as my Default WM (heck, at this point, I’d even just like to only have FVWM as my ONLY choice for a WM).

I have downloaded the latest stable tar ball, untar’d it, and made and config’d it.

At this point, I am stuck. I have found ‘instructions’ on-line saying I need to update my Xsession file in /etc/X11/xdm directory so that it can switch on FVWM… I’ve done this with the following code:

fvwm)
exec -l $SHELL -c "SSH_AGENT $DBUS_LAUNCH SWITCHDESKPATH/Xclients.fvwm

BUT I still have no access to fvwm.

What more do I need to do? Is there some other file I need to update? Is there something else I need to download so that I can just run the darn WM?

Any questions, comments, rude remarks would be GREATLY appreciated.

thanks,
skenderbeg

the code actually has a ‘$’ before the SWITCHDESKPATH/Xclients.fvwm

still can’t make it work…

any help at all would be very appreciated

I’ve not used Federo, so this all is just guesses (well ok, I have, but can’t remember anything from that).
Do you get a graphical greeter with the Fadore -thingie?
My bet is that it uses gnome2 and all the cruft along with that, so the greeter would be called gdm (as in Gnu/Gnome Display Manager, or something like that).
If that is the case, you need to find out how to add wm sessions to gdm.
Again, I’ve not used gdm, so this is purely a guess, that gnome comes with a “greeter configuration” utility, or something similar.

AFAIK fedora core uses gdm. but i don’t know how to add a wm or something like that I’m sorry. (debian does this for me automatically)

in /etc/gdm you can find gdm’s config

i hope this helps you

Try /etc/X11/dm. There you should find some sessions that GDM uses.

Hello, Skender.

See this:

http://fvwm.lair.be/viewtopic.php?t=7&highlight=gdm

– Thomas Adam