Clean and (can be) green.

It didn’t work. It hung while loading. I commented out the terminal stuff and now the player doesn’t even show up anymore.

This is the error that caused it to hang…I can replicate it using my terminal:

link@link:~$ ncmpc error [15]: problems getting a response from "localhost" on port 6600 : Connection refused

This isn’t really a huge deal, but it would be nice if I could get it to work. I tried with aterm and gnome-terminal. Do you know if those terminals should work?

HOWEVER…the windows now switch between desktops with the right click :wink:

Also, one suggestion --the only thing that I really would find useful that this awesome config doesn’t yet have-- is the addition of a Restart FVWM option on the “shutdown menu.” As of right now I have to log off to ‘restart’ fvwm.

It is indeed working, as far as the fvwm config goes, it just seems that mpd itself isn’t working for you. Have you set it up correctly? Check your mpd.conf file. Also check top to see if it’s running. Try running it from a terminal and see what it says.

You can middle-click on the desktop for the standard fvwm menu, which includes restart.

I messed with my config…but I am not sure I fixed anything? Could you show me what it is suppose to look like?

BTW that middle click thing is awesome (of course its already in the config…you are just THAT good :slight_smile: )

ahhhh

I keep screwing things up trying to get this to work with my resolution. :frowning:

I want to get the F1 game terminal working, the dock shading/tinting working, and my mpd/controls on the dock working.

The music controls have since disappeared…i think it had to do something with me resizing the dock to fit the whole screen :shrug:

I think most of these problem would be fixed when the resolution problem is resolved. I can’t wait :slight_smile: I am done screwing with it myself because I just get frustrated(because I have no idea what I am doing).

Hurrrrry uppp Stonecrest!! :wink: :wink:

Well… it turns out that it takes a ridiculous amount of effort to make a config that scales to all resolutions, so you may still need to do some tweaking, sorry. I got it reasonably good though, I think. The biggest thing I did was get the wallpaper working - basically, you specify which wallpaper you want in the config file and it will resize to your screen resolution and add the tinting at the bottom for the dock.

I’m still amazed at how fast imlib2 is - on my 600mhz box, it can resize a large image to 1024x768 and add the tinting in under 2 seconds, a penalty on fvwm startup that seems worth the flexibility of being able to supply any wallpaper you want. Here’s an example of using another wallpaper:

P.S. I’m really proud of myself for figuring out how to do this with imlib2 :smiley:

linkunderscore, you’re going to have to figure out how to setup mpd yourself, maybe ask on a mpd forum. As for the terminal, I’d recomment just downloading and using rxvt-unicode because I know that works, but otherwise, again, you’ll have to figure it out yourself.

config

It took me a little bit but I got everything to work just fine…everything but mpd. I will look into that some more later. Thanks for all of your work! This is an awesome config. :slight_smile:

Sorry I have been such a pain. I should just RTFM next time and figure it out myself :blush:

I really like the work you do/have done so I will be looking for any new stuff you might post in the future. Keep up the good work :slight_smile:

Hey, awesome work :slight_smile: Thanks to your config im switching over to fvwm. Anyways I been trying to figure out how to change the titlebar’s (i think thats what its called) color. I have been trying for a while now and I cannot figure out how. So is there a way to change the color of the titlebar? im a newb =(

Thanks

It is. You want to look at “TitleStyle” and “AddTitleStyle”. So something like this in your decor might work:

+ TitleStyle ActiveDown (Solid red -- raised)
+ TitleStyle ActiveUp (Solid green -- raised)

Or you can tell it to use a colorset, if you so wish.

– Thomas Adam

Thanks, that worked. I also noticed that the author was using images for the titlebar, I wanted to keep the same buttons so I changed the colors.

I was out of town for the past two weeks but I’m back at it again :wink: I just added a little feature of displaying cover art in the dock. I realize it’s really small (25x25) but that’s how I like it - eye-candyish but it doesn’t get in your way.

(click for larger pic)

It is set up to expect a cover.png file in the directory of the currently played song. You’re also going to want the images to be 25x25 if you’re using it like I am. It obviously works best if you have your music directories organized by albums.

Right now I just have a blank space for the cover art for when MPD is stopped because I’m lacking any creativity. If anyone has a good suggestion for a default image, let me know…

config

Edit: I had hard-coded in my music directory by accident, it’s now fixed. It assumes your main music dir is ~/music, you can change that in the first couple lines in the config.

Nice one!

What about a function which:

a) checks if a cover is already there
b) checks the size
c) if the size is bigger than ?x? resize it and save it for later use?

I think c) would be really nice, takes a lot of time to do it by hand if you’ve got a lot of music.

Next:

• maybe show a bigger cover on mouse-over(i.e. 128x128).
  • render the title of the current song into the image(quite useless - but funny)
  • popup a fullscreen window on klick, which shows thumbnails of all albums you have and play the according one on click

Got much more ideas, but the best one is to go to sleep now :wink:

cheers,
ph030

here’s my screenshot based on stonecrest’s config

eng.uwaterloo.ca/~d2macnei/screenshot.png

ph030 - As soon as i added this album art feature, I decided that I wanted a way to (optionally) have a larger image available too. I agree with you that it’s a better idea to set larger images and have them resized by FvwmScript. So yeah, I’m going to improve this hopefully over the weekend.

The largest that I could make the cover art on a MouseOver is 50x50, without making the dock bigger (which I definitely don’t want to do). I’m either going to implement the 50x50 MouseOver, or I’m going to make it so that clicking on the cover brings up a larger image, or both. I haven’t decided which of those three options I prefer…

And nice work davmac :slight_smile:

Alright, it’s working nicely now. If you click on the small thumbnail, it’ll bring up a larger (200x200) image along with the Artist and Album names.

It now expects a cover.jpg file in the directory (.jpg instead of .png because it’s easier to find cover art in jpeg on the net). It’ll then create a .fvwm_small.png and .fvwm_large.png in that dir which are used for the 25x25 and 200x200 thumbnails.

It’s not perfectly optimized (i.e. it will recreate these images everytime you switch to a different album, even if they already exist), but I got tired of trying to get that test to work. If anyone does a lot of FvwmScript work, I’m sure they know what I mean heh. It was painful enough just to make this work correctly.

I was just about to ask about jpg support. :slight_smile:

Last week I added a pager to my version of your config. http://www.escapeportal.net/upload/2005-10-22-020931_1280x1024_scrot.png

[color=red]Edited by theBlackDragon:
I removed the image tag and made a link out of it instead, big images mess up the layout of the forum, so please only use the img tag for thumbnails, not for full sized screenshots :slight_smile:[/color]

I see you got mpd working :wink:

That’s a really sweet screenshot, although you might want to create a thumbnail to link with. Also, link to the wallpaper?

I did some work today on a weather display, done purely in FvwmScript.

The display shows an image of the current day’s weather in the dock, and then you can click on it for a 5-day forecast. The forecast includes images, high/low temperatures, and chances of rain. The display is set to update every 10 minutes.

I need to do a bit more work on it before I can update my config, but I’ll get to that sometime tomorrow.

This was really nice. Can’t wait for your updated config.

Very nice stonecrest!
Too bad FvwmScript is … well… quite heavy. At least, here.

There’s another weather perl script to integrate in the menu if you wish
(somewhere on the net, don’t remember where)

Thanks guys… This script is actually quite light because it only polls for updates every 10 mins. I have a 600mhz p3 box, so I try to be very mindful of resources :wink: I also hate to create dependencies, so pure fvwm is what I prefer, even if FvwmScript, for example, is the not the easiest beast to tame.

Anyway, here is the finished display. I changed the icons to have transparent backgrounds and did a lot of code cleanup.

In fvwm2rc.variables, you just need two things.

SetEnv LocationCode USCO0038 # Change for your location (weather.com) SetEnv TempUnits s # m (metric->Celsius) or s (Fahrenheit)

The LocationCode is the unique trailing code if you search for your city (i.e. for Boulder, it’s weather.com/weather/local/USCO0038 -> USCO0038). You can also set temperatures in F or C.

Let me know of any suggestions… Next on my todo is to improve the Calendar display.

config