compile and install FVWM for another kernel/system

Hey all,

We are trying a few window managers on our embedded system, and we are having a few focus issues. So we wanted to try out a WM that could handle more windows. That system have no enviroment to compile and cant use any rpm file to install FVWM. We have every source for that system, but FVWM ./configure will get my machine configuration to compile. Anyone have tryied to compile FVWM in one system, for another kernel/system? Have any tips on how to do it, besides looking through the entire configure and changing it manually?

Thanks,

I certainly don’t have any information to give you, other than I am confused by what you’re asking. What is it about running ‘./configure’ for FVWM that makes you think you need to hand-edit it?

– Thomas Adam

I am confused as well. I try to explain exactly what you want to do.

The kernel is not related to fvwm in any way. As long
as you have the required libraries you should be able
to build it without problems.

Are you trying to cross-compile fvwm for another
architecture/os or something?

Yes, i am trying to cross-compile for another architecture/kernel version.
Does anyone know what i have to do!? Cause i can’t compile on my embeeded system. I have to compile t on other system and than move(install) to my embeeded one.

I found a option --host in ./configure, but i didnt undestand how to use it.
“./configure --host=HOST” What’s this HOST, that i have to use!?

Thans by Now.
Juliano

First, you need to know what OS and what cpu type does that misterious device has.

Second, you need to know if that system is capable of running X, perl, zlib and libXft,
from memory, so I might miss something. To build additional features, you will need
some more libraries. For example, for SVG support you need librsvg.

If those conditions are met, you need to setup a cross toolchain for that OS and
architecture. Then compile all the relevant libraries with that toolchain, on the
native format of the target, and finally, build fvwm against that.

I have no experience doing so, and much less with fvwm. So, I don’t know how well
can it behave. If you are trying to compile for any arch that fvwm is known to
support, you should have luck, and you should not need to configure anything in
fvwm, but in your cross-toolchain. If not, then you are on your own.

You can also ask in the fvwm mailing lists. Visit the fvwm home page to get info
on how to subscribe to the lists and use them. The developers list might be
suitable for the case, but beware that you should be able to explain exactly what
you want and provide all the info that you are not providing here.

– Jesús Guerrero