configure vim emulate other editor(s)

I am used with these key bindings that are so common on many other editors excepet a few (read Emacs, vi(m) and a few more).
Well - ok, vi(m) and Emacs are both very good editors - they are the best, and one of them is the king - which one depends on who you ask :^)
But - i don’t like to hit the Esc key all the time to change mode - to be honst - i hate it. It just make me irritated. Its make me feel It_Should_Not_Be_So.
Is there any way to configure Vim and/or Emacs to use “traditional” - (I used quotes - so you can’t bite me for saying that :smiley:), editor modes.?

I wan’t <ctrl+c> /<ctrl+ins>for copy, <ctrl+v>/<shift+ins> for paste, and <ctrl+x> /<shift+del> for cut.

If i could have that and a few other (not in my mind for the moment) common key combinations in my vim, then it should become my always to use - editor.
If that’s possible even in emacs - then i should not fear to try it as well.

/Dante

You could copy the mswin.vim as your ~/.vimrc

One thing about vi(m): the aim is to be as little time in insert mode as possible when editing text.

Thank you, i will try that.

huh, will you please explain that concept to me.

Let’s consider the windows notepad as a classic example: in similar editors, you have a text box where you type, and a menu where you command the app to do something.

In vim, the command mode and the edition mode are separated. So, when you are in the edition mode (insert mode), you can enter text and do some basic editing. The other mode is the mode in which vim starts, which is the normal or edit mode. This is the default, and in this mode you can use all the commands that vim can understand.

The normal mode is very powerful for edition, while the insert mode lets you just write text.

There are a number of additional modes, but those two are enough to illustrate how vim works. Due to this modus operandi it is not possible to completely mimic the win-notepad-alike commands, because the philosophy behind the two editors is extremely different.

Here you can read more about modes:

vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/i … odes-intro

What morbusg meant above (I think) is that the insert mode should just be used when you need to enter text, and for nothing more. Because of this, most of the typical stuff that you would do on the notepad, does not have much sense on vim.

You could read, for example, this: moolenaar.net/habits.html

Yes, but you have short cuts to the keys in that menu.
img231.imageshack.us/my.php?image=notepader2.jpg

I was using MultiEdit back in the 80’s
Here is a list about the shortcuts i can access without ever leaving the “Insert-mode”
img153.imageshack.us/my.php?image=meov7.jpg

Thats what this editor could do back then, with a bunch of macros to dl and a possibility to record new macros.
I bet that MultiEdit Today is worth to compare with Emacs and Vi(m), and you can do all the work there in without Ever leave the “Insertt-Mode” and also without ever click on any of the menus.
It Even have a Emacs Macro-File, but i can not tell how close that comes.
And yes - it’s commercial and costs a lot of money and … thats another thread.

I will look at both of them, - but i dubt that i will change my opinion here .- and why should i.?

I have to agree that some keybindings in vi(m) are very powerful - dd dw, some others slows me down - d$ for example - in a Swedish keyboard i have to press <alt+gr> to reach the $ sign.
that gives five keys, if i count the and keys.

i am used to - continue typing.

And i think that my question from the start was lost here.
What i want i to know is if i can make some aliases thats tells vim the follwing…

if i hit <shift+anycursorkey> - then vim should jump out of “insert-mode” and mark the block i select with the cursor until i release the shiftkey, then it should jump into insert mode until i press <shift+insert> then it should paste the text

i know that i in vim can press the keys /<ctrl+v> (move to where to paste the selection),

then i can continue write the text.

And what i want to do is <shift+arrowkeyr> <ctrl+ins> (move to where to paste the selection),
<shift+insert>
then i can continue write the text.

Yes, there are one key press more in the “m$-style” (that term is wrong, micro$oft adopted the style when it have been a de-facto standard for quite long, that was the days before win 3.0)
but there are fewer hand-movements.

Then, if i should use the vim-style editing,- or the “ms-style” (quotes because the term is wrong),
thats more a philosophic / religious question.

What i want to know - is it possible to completely remap the keys in that way i am asking for.?
/Dante

Mere capital “D” would do the same as your example.

So you didn’t read through the mswin.vim? Also, you do realize that you and me have the same kind of keyboard? :wink:

If you mean that something is de-facto standard because the time it was developed, you should know that vi was developed in 1976. Because POSIX actually demands vi’s presence, it is more appropriate to call vi “de-facto”.

Yes.

Errrmmm… I am not a vim user. You asked. I answered. I was not trying to convince you. :wink:

You are right - i copied the file and loaded vim, but i didn’t read it carefully - i will do that this evening.

Ahh, ok

No - i am talking about a defacto standard as a standard that not are commonly used without/before any standard organisation had put their ‘name’ on it.
Hmm, after a quick search on wikipedia i find this…
“A de facto standard is a technical or other standard that is so dominant that everybody seems to follow it like an authorized standard.”
It seems that you and i had different opinions about what the word defacto meanss, and neither of us was completely right…
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defacto

<ctrl+v>, <ctrl+insert> is a part of the IBM’s CUA standard.
Before that it was used on Wordstar, and others was inspired by that and adopted it, then IBM put a big part on it and put it together with other UI-standards and named it to CUA, - and the history before wordstar i don’t know much about…
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_User_Access

Good, and everything is in the msvin.vim.? well i will have a nice reading now. Thank you for the answer. :slight_smile:

Sorry, didn’t mean to offend you.
What editor do you prefere - wait there is a different thread about that, :slight_smile:
I myself have found that kate and gnat-gps are good if you stick with X, else setedit is very nice for both interrfaces.

I still don’t know how to make vim accept
+ + (typeing operation, then i choose to paste) +
as
(to hilightt text) <p< (typeing operation, then i choose to paste)

I still can’t find it in the msvin.vim, ad i didn’t find it on google.

Any ideas.?

cream.sf.net

– Thomas Adam

Thank you Thomas Adam, i will try that.

I joined Vim Mailing List and put my question there, and one guy gave me a solution that - sort of - works.
Here is the thread.
groups.google.com/group/vim_use/ … 26ed72f3f5