Does "The Dotfile Generator" still work in 2020?

I heard about TDG and it got my attention to make config files for FVWM2 graphically. Does it still work in 2020? As in with modern versions of tcl and the last released version of FVWM2 or maybe even with FVWM3?

Hi @ed1

Goodness me! TDG is a blast from the past. From what I can recollect, it was largely a short-lived project that hasn’t been updated in over 15 years at least. That being said, it probably could produce some sort of valid config file which you might then have to update using fvwm-convert-2.6, for instance.

However, why would you want to in the first place? There’s already plenty of fvwm config frameworks (just have a look at www.fvwm.org for a list) as a starting point, as well as existant fvwm configs which people have uploaded over the years. Wouldn’t you be better off using one of those as a basis?

If you have any specific needs or ideas in mind, let me know and I’ll be able to point you in the right direction.

Kindly,
Thomas

If you have any specific needs or ideas in mind, let me know and I’ll be able to point you in the right direction.

Yeah now that you mention it. Is there an out of the box config of FVWM that looks exactly like mwm? Not twm but the motif window manager? I have fvwm2 and not fvwm3 if it helps.

Hi @ed1

Not to my knowledge, no. However, this might be of interest: https://gist.github.com/wyatt8740/21d2540340b47041f21c4ebe0ea9506f

Kindly,
Thomas

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.