Dual Displays

I hope this is not too off-topic…

I’m just curious how people organize their dual display setups? ie) Email/IRC on one, code/work on the other? Xinerama or not? What works for you?

Thanks

Well, I use Xinerame (NVidia TwinView actually) and on one of my desks I have IRSSI on the left screen and a bunch of terminals on the right, on other desks it varies but mostly boils down to terminals on my left (and smaller screen) and some form of editor/ide on the right one.

Is it possible to tell FVWM which monitor you want the application to start up on, if you ahve two monitors? Some kind of style or something?

I use geometry to position (some) applications in one or another screen. I have two 19’’ monitors which makes a screen with 2560x1024. Most of the time, (I am a web programmer) I have a console (mrxvt) on the left screen (with multiple tabs: vim, ncftp, mutt, mc, moc, ssh, etc) and a browser (firefox) on the right.

Warning: working with 2 monitors is addictive :slight_smile: I almost can’t even think when I have to work on a ‘one-monitor-only’ computer.

So, with your setup, can you switch desktops on one monitor, and leave the other monitor on the same desktop? Is that possible with your setup? Or, if you switch desktops, it switches both of your monitors?

Yes, and that is what I want it to do.

I don’t know how to setup two different desktops, each one on a monitor with one instance of Fvwm running and only one connection to the X server. It might be possible but I don’t know how to do that. By the way, what would be the advantajes of such model?

I am in a unique environment where I need two independent stacks (WindowLists) where the two monitors are not dependent on each other. I did find a way to do this, in fact. All that is required is the normal xorg.conf editing to allow for two monitors (dual head) out of a single video card (nvidia is what I am using) and then when you run your “exec fvwm2” command, you can specify the display as follows:

exec fvwm2 --display :0.0
exec fvwm2 --display :0.1

True, I need this for a unique environment, but I am glad that it is possible.

im also trying to figure out how to get windows to open up on a specified monitor, i got twinview with nvidia and when i drag an app over to the second monitor it starts its geometry from 0x0 again, cant seem to find a workaround, any info welcome

x11-wm/fvwm-2.5.18-r1  USE="bidi gtk imlib nls perl png readline rplay stroke tk truetype xinerama -debug"
fvwm 2.5.18 compiled on Nov 16 2006 at 09:49:52
with support for: ReadLine, RPlay, Stroke, XPM, PNG, Shape, XShm, SM, Bidi text, Xinerama, XRender, XFT, NLS

The StartsOnScreen style doesn’t work?

Lately i have been using a macbook pro 15" with a 22" display on the left. They are even on the bottom for a text editor.

I started back to college part time after a few decades off. I made the mistake of assuming it would be similar to the '80s. It isn’t. For 100% online studies, there may or may not be a lecture to listen to. But we’re expected to read the textbook, fully understand it, answer teacher questions using an office editor in Word or .rtf format, and submit a set number of posts to the class online discussion board on a per chapter basis. Then there are the essays. Disappearing into the background isn’t an option in today’s classroom.

Way back when I was in college, we were still using typewriters. The idea of a computer in every home existed only in sci-fi. Today for school, I find myself living on the computer, so much so that I developed carpel tunnel in my right wrist.

Regarding monitors; in order to keep up with class work, I now have a 3 monitor system. I use the middle monitor for heavy typing; the papers I have to submit, discussion boards, and reading/highlighting the online textbook. The right monitor is for online research, usually Google, or access to papers in online scholar/professional journals, etc. The left monitor is for everything else; email, Skype, IM, light typing, such as creating a chapter outline from the chapter text I’m studying/highlighting, the course syllabus/schedule/assignments-coming-due, etc.

With Fvwm’s multiple desktop feature, I have two desktops set up, allowing me to have 2 classes up at a time, with each using all three monitors as described above. I can quickly and easily move between the two desktops by moving the mouse up or down to the next desktop, or by clicking on the pager.

This is an amazing age.

well talking about dual display then now it has been the revolution with the trend at the same time. like in Samsung mobiles and the Asus Zenbook series. also if you like then read out my new article click here.