Dynamically move FvwmButtons?

I like to have the fvwmButtons at the lower right of my screen. Problem is, I work on a laptop that has a 1680x1050 (or something like that) display, but mostly use a large 1600x1200 second display (with the laptop display turned off), so I have a virtual screen that’s 1680x1200). If I set an explict position, it’s wrong for one or the other display: e.g. if I switch to the laptop, a good chunk of the fvwmButtons window is below the physical display.

Is there an easy way to change its position, say by a function key? The only way I’ve found is to edit the .fvwm2rc file and then restart FVWM, which is a pain.

Hi,

It sounds like you’ve hard-coded the position of your buttons. Why not use variables like $[vp.width] and $[vp.height] to determine the size of the viewport you’re working in? See section 29 (Command Expansion) of the fvwm man page.

Regards,

Rob

There are three reasons I didn’t use variables. First is that I didn’t really understand the man page section when I read it - and of course that may color the other two reasons, as I’m going by what I think it does, which isn’t necessarily what it actually does do.

Second reason is that (if I understand it correctly), the $vp variables give the dimensions of the viewport, which will be an area that includes both displays - in my case 1680x1200 - even when I turn one of the displays off. E.g. the power fails, or I want to use the external display to view output from another machine (connecting to one machine with D-sub, another with DVD, so I just push a front-panel button).

Third reason is that (again, if I understand things) this would be read from the .fvwm2rc file when FVWM starts, so the position is fixed unless I do a restart. What I’d like is something that binds to a function key, the way I have keys set up to turn the laptop display off and on, or maybe to buttons in fvwmButtons itself.

Hi,

You will probably find the Move or AnimatedMove commands of most use.

Regards,

Rob