Flatpaks/Snaps in the menu

I have issues regarding trying to use Flatpaks and Snaps with NsCDE. I think it might stem from an issue with FVWM (both 2.6.7 and 3-1.0.1) but I haven’t got a clue. I’m running Sparky Potolo (based on Debian Testing).

Hi @daemonspudguy

Any chance you could provide more details about what it is you’re trying to do, what’s not working, and what should be working? Unfortunately, my ESP hat isn’t working as well as it once did.

Kindly,
Thomas

When I refresh the menu, I expect the .desktop files in /var/lib/flatpak//current/share/applications and the equivalent for snaps to be in the application menu. The required paths are in the XDG_DATA_DIRS environment variable.

Hi @daemonspudguy

It is really easier to help when more details are provided. :slight_smile:

Can you please open one terminal window from menu or Front Panel (to be the child of the FVWM main process) and echo $XDG_DATA_DIRS? Does flatpack place appears in a row? If not, please put this on the end of your ~/.NsCDE/NsCDE.conf, and re-login:

SetEnv XDG_DATA_DIRS $[XDG_DATA_DIRS]:/var/lib/flatpak//current/share/applications:/someware:…

If paths are already in the variable, then you should run fvwm-menu-desktop [1] manually to see if there is any error about this. Also check if there are permissions for user to read that directories.

[1]
fvwm-menu-desktop -e --enable-mini-icons --theme NsCDE --insert-in-menu m_Applications --include-items none --app-icon ${NSCDE_ROOT}/share/icons/NsCDE/Nominiicon.xpm --menu-type applications --desktop nscde --mini-icon-dir ${FVWM_USERDIR}/icons | uniq

THAT WORKED!!! Thanks man!

FOR FUTURE REFERENCE!!!
To have Flatpaks and snaps appear in your menu for NsCDE, please add the following to NsCDE.conf
SetEnv XDG_DATA_DIRS $[XDG_DATA_DIRS]:/var/lib/flatpak/exports/share:/home/spud/.local/share/flatpak/exports/share:/var/lib/snapd/desktop

Hi,

With the new XDG environment parsing scheme, this will not probably be necessary anymore. If XDG_DATA_DIRS and/or XDG_CONFIG are not empty during NsCDE startup, NsCDE will prepend itself to this row of directories. Likewise, if variable is empty, it will be defined from scratch.
This means that if system is setting this for flatpack and snap, it will be preserved in the future. If not, you will have to define it in your profile. If you leave it like this, it will also continue to work.