Floating point exception when starting X

I’m a newbie here. Don’t know much about FVWM, but I’ve been tasked with trying to make it work in our environment, so any help is much appreciated.

I’m currently trying to get FVWM 2.4.19-1 (from the RPM distribution) up and going under CentOS 4.5. The problem I’m having is also under a stripped down custom install from Anaconda. I may be missing some essential RPMs that FVWM needs. I don’t know.

I’m also running under VMWare while debugging.

When I execute “startx” and FVWM is getting started via /root/.xinitrc, I get the following message…

6591 Floating point exception/usr/bin/fvwm2

And I’ve seen the same behavior when trying 2.5.13-1 as well.

any ideas what I’m screwing up?

Thank you.
Tim

That’s not too much info.

Assuming your hardware is ok and that the CentOS people didn’t add any weird patches to the build, that shouldn’t happen.

Is that really the only info you get? Isn’t there anything more in the output?

Missing dependencies usually are not the cause of segfaults. Anyway, can you post the output for “ldd $(which fvwm)”?

PS. By the way, what is your architecture? amd64 maybe?

This won’t help. What would be more useful is knowing the X11 version. And indeed, trying the CVS version of FVWM.

– Thomas Adam

It’s just a quick way to check if some dependency is missing. I know it will surely not help with the problem itself.

output from the ldd $(which fvwm)…

libXpm.so.4 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4 (0x003b7000)
libstroke.so.0 => /usr/lib/libstroke.so.0 (0x007bf000)
libSM.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libSM.so.6 (0x00400000)
libICE.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6 (0x0040b000)
libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6 (0x003db000)
libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6 (0x002d6000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/tls/libm.so.6 (0x0029f000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/libc.so.6 (0x0016b000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x00299000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x00151000)

My xorg-x11 version is 6.8.2-1.EL.18

And I’m using the i386 architecture.

I plan to download the latest CVS source and try building it. Meanwhile, if you guys spot anything wrong with the above info, or need more info to help me out, please let me know.

Thanks for the replies.

That info is ok, though your Xorg is old. I don’t know if that is a problem or not. It might be depending on how fvwm was compiled by your release maintainers in CentOS.

There has been at least two ABI changes since 6.8 to the current 7.3. So, there is a chance that, if CentOS ships fvwm compiled against a newer Xorg, it will give you some trouble. There are two things you can do: compile it yourself of report the bug to the CentOS developers (I don’t know if they have a bugtracking system or something like that).