FVWM and CORBA

ok, I have a few questions that ‘might’ be considered by those “in the know” as stupid questions (because I think that they are stupid), however, due to someone higher up the food-chain then me, I have to ask these questions:

1)Is there any way, other than via a script, to call functions defined in the .fvwm2rc file? for example: CORBA?

2)Does one HAVE to call functions via the .fvw2rc file? wouldn’t it be possible to put ‘hooks’ into the source code, that would accept Corba calls, and use those calls to execute functionality in the src? Or, in the .fvw2rc file?

3)Is CORBA considered, by anyone who is an expert, to be a viable way to do communication with FVWM by another application? any application?

The problem is this: My FVWM needs to interact with any N number of applications. It needs to be able tell the app’s, you are on desk 3, you are on desk 1, when I press this Keypress, Func_Foo needs to be executed, etc.

The tricky part is: When App_Foo_A is exited, I need something special to happen, when App_Foo_B is exited, I need something else altogether to happen - so, one FVWMEvent destroy_window function isn’t going to be sufficient - I thought then, "why not have Foo_App_A/B call a dumb little bash script on exiting that will call a specific FVWMCommand function in the .fvwm2rc file - that way I could encapsulate the separate functionalities into 2 FVWMFunctions, and all the App’s will need to do, when exiting, is echo out a call to the appropriate script. Seemed like a good idea to me - but perhaps there is a way to make FVWMEvent handle two different kinds of destroywindow functions? depending on ‘who’ was destroyed?

So, the people above me decided that “interprocess communication” must be done via CORBA - no exceptions - wouldn’t this, if my understanding of FVWM is correct, require that when Foo_A is exited, if I an’t define 2 separate handlers for destroy_window, that a CORBA command be sent from Foo_A, to a CORBA consumer, which would then call the necessary script anyway? I.E. -> isn’t the communication done with FVWM done via scripting?

If someone who knows more than me could comment on this, it would help me to explain what/how FVWM does, so that the people I answer to will believe me.

thanks,
Skender

I don’t personally know much about that side of fvwm, but I have sneaking suspicion you’d want to take a look at fvwm.org/documentation/dev_modules.php

No.

It would be possible, but would take a lot of work to do.

I am not an expert, so I can’t say with any authority. Currently, the way FVWM ↔ Module works is fine, providing there’s an API for a specific language to talk to FVWM.

But this information is already obtainable, without the need for any more complexities.

Why not?

DestroyModuleConfig FE: *
*FE: Cmd Function
*FE: destroy_window Foo

DestroyFunc Foo
AddToFunc Foo
+ I PipeRead '[ $[w.name] == "Foo_A" ] && echo RunFuncFooA' 
+ I PipeRead '[ $[w.name] == "Foo_B" ] && echo RunFuncFooB'

DestroyFunc RunFuncFooA
AddToFunc RunFuncFooA
+ I .....

DestroyFunc RunFuncFooB
AddToFunc RunFuncFooB
+ I ......

Because it’s overkill, and helps propogate the likelihood of failure even more.

See above.

– Thomas Adam

Thanks Thomas –

Seriously man, let me buy you a pint of Ginger Beer next time I am over there- this summer most likely.

• Skender

Yayyyyyy. :slight_smile:

– Thomas Adam