fvwm and debian

hi guys!

I used debian sid with fluxbox and played also a little bit with fvwm. When Sarge came out I reinstalled everything to get a clean OS (I had installed lots of stuff on sid that I used like one time and never again…). I decided to go with fvwm, because i think it’s far more light weight and has more possibilities than fluxbox. Now on debian fvwm isnt a beauty (as always :wink:) BUt it has the debian menu, which is made automaticaly whenever you apt-get something. This is great. Now I’d like to make fvwm good looking and i want to use that menu. I searched everywere for the fvwm2rc but i couldnt find it. If i chekc the .xsession-errors i get this:

[FVWM][main]: <<ERROR>> Cannot read startup config file, tried: /home/meursault/.fvwm/config /usr/share/fvwm/config /home/meursault/.fvwm/.fvwm2rc /home/meursault/.fvwm2rc /usr/share/fvwm/.fvwm2rc /usr/share/fvwm/system.fvwm2rc /etc/X11/fvwm/system.fvwm2rc

So I have no idea how I can make fvwm looking more appealing and integrate the menu.
I asked the guys in #debian but they dont know where the default fvwm config is.

can you help me?
thanks in advance
meursault

By default, in Debian, there is no Fvwm config…

But you got one thing in the /etc/X11/fvwm/ directory… the menus…

So in your ~/.fvwm/.fvwm2rc you just type the menustyle definitions… And thats all, the menu will take the look of your choice…

Indeed. The rationale behind this is that FvwmForn-Setup does enough of a job of providing a .fvwm2rc file, irrespective of the fact that the vanilla fvwm tarballs provide several fvwm2rc files, anyway. Yet despite this glaringly-overlooked facet, the Debian maintainer seems to think it’s still OK to not ship the other files.

– Thomas Adam

Thanks for your answers.

I’ll now try to configure fvwm.

meursault