FVWM2RC background / foreground Question

Hi All,
Im new here. Im having a problem. How to change the Background or Foreground color in fvwm2rc …

My console color is Blue & when i hilite a text in my console, that color is also Blue. Which makes me confusing whether i hilite the text or not…

Appreciate if someone can shed some light on this problem…

:frowning:

The coloring of your console depends on the type of console, so if you could tell us which one you’re using… (Eterm, xterm, aterm, (u)rxvt,…)

[color=red]Moved from “Basic questions” to “Other questions”[/color]

Hi Thank you blankdragon for your kind reply.

Im using an xterm

The manpage for xterm specifies that you can change the background color with "-bg " and the font (foreground) color with "-fg ", so if I wanted a black background and a gray foreground I’d type something like this:

xterm -bg black -fg grey

You might want to check out the xterm manpage by typing “man xterm” in a console, this will bring up a list of all options available with xterm, the format of manpages is pretty cryptic but you get used to that in the end :slight_smile:

Other interesting option are -title to set a title for you terminal and -font to set a font for the terminal…

Hope this helped you :slight_smile:

One especially handy file for this is ~/.Xdefaults. You can make it contain default settings for different X programs you use. Here are some settings from my .Xdefaults -file:

XTermsaveLines: 2000
XTerm
font: “xft:monospace”
Rxvt*scrollBar: False

HTH,
Mikko

While it is true that I also prefer ~/.X{defaults,resources}, there are some other external programs which can manipulate Xterms. namely:

xtermset
xtermcontrol

– Thomas Adam