[FvwmEvent] - List of events anywhere?

Im wondering into the FvwmEvent world. Seems promissing for some ideas that that I have hanging around my head. In the FvwmEvent manpage appear a list of events illustrating how they can be linked against some sound files to be played. Well, I dont have interest in such a fancy feature at all, but have some ideas for FvwmEvents. My question is: is there any list documenting all the fvwm events that FvwmEvents can handle? I havent been able to find it.

Well, the names that appear in the FvwmEvent man page are self explanatory, so I will not have so much problem figuring out what do they mean, but I wonder if there are more around there?

Thanks in advance :wink:

EDIT: Solved below, I keep this as reference :laughing:

Hi, people. I was bored so I started to play with another thing:

DestroyModuleConfig FvwmEvent: *
*FvwmEvent: Cmd "exec"
*FvwmEvent: new_page 'echo "Página: $[page.nx], $[page.ny]" | \
        osd_cat -p bottom -o 5 -A left -d 3 -c lightsteelblue -O 1 -u grey20 \
        -f "-*-terminus-*-r-*-*-32-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-1"'

This is supposed to bind the new_page event (that, AFAIK, is issued each time that I change the actual page), to that silly osd command that is above. It should display a message telling me which is the actual page when I change the page. The good thing: the message appears (weird fonts 'cause xosd is weird, but that is another topic). The bad thing: the page is always [0,0]. So, I assumed that, “echo” cannot read the variables and thus, asign a cool ‘0’ to each one of them.
False theory. I changed the vars to a non existant ones and the command does not even run. So, the problem seems to be that my variables does not show a correct value. How can this be? Changing via the pager of via the mouse thru the border of the page does not make any difference. It is always [0,0], regardless of what page I am in. :smiley:

I have a 1x4 page layout in only one desktop.

EDIT: If I go to another page and do this in FvwmConsole:

DestroyModuleConfig FvwmEvent: *
*FvwmEvent: new_page 'echo "$[page.nx] $[page.ny]" | \
        osd_cat -p bottom -o 0 -A left -d 3 -c lightsteelblue -O 1 -u grey20 \
        -f "-*-terminus-*-r-*-*-32-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-1"'

Nothing changes. In the contraty, if I do “Echo $[page.nx] $[page.ny]” into the same console, and then switch to vc1, I can see the correct numbers, depending on the page I am on. So, what’s happening here? The variables are correct, but “echo” cant read them right, or are they modified in their way? :open_mouth:

EDIT: Officially, you can kick my ass. All these year working with bash and I still forget to escape the thing when needed. The solution: $[page.nx] I cant believe it! :slight_smile:

I’m sure something like this was already done on these forums, but it’s interesting to see people’s umm thought patterns about how they approach things.

Firstly, I see you had something like this:

… no need for the quotes:

*FvwmEvent: Cmd Exec

… will suffice (and ultimately comes out as superfluous, but if it helps you to remember what it’s doing, then you can keep it in.)

As for other “hidden” events you might not know about — there are none. If it’s not listed in the manpage, then it does not exist. If, though, you wanted to know what a particular event does, then that’s slightly different, but the names are usually self-explanatory [1].

I am not sure what made you think you needed to escape anything, though… There’s nothing operating on the interpolation of $[page.nx] $[page.ny] before it reaches another FVWM command, so the following:

KillModule FvwmEvent FvwmEvents
DestroyModuleConfig FvwmEvents: *
*FvwmEvents: Cmd Exec
*FvwmEvents: new_page 'echo $[page.nx] $[page.ny] | \
osd_cat -p bottom -o 0 -A left -d 3 -c lightsteelblue -O 1 -u grey20'

Module FvwmEvent FvwmEvents

… works fine for me. Note that escaping part of the variable as in “$[page.nx]” is completely nonsensical. Ultimately though, the use of a Function would be the way I would do things.

– Thomas Adam

[1] Trivia: In all the time I have been here, the one thing I seem to answer more questions about than anything else is FvwmEvent.