"Getting Things Done"-oriented FVWM config

Getting Things Done by David Allen argues that controlling workflow is the best way to maintain control of our tasks.

My workflow is interrupt-driven, so it’s really a stack; you know, start one thing, get interrupted, do new task, finish new task, return to old task. So my FVWM config [TEXT] [TAR/GZ] uses the EdgeCommand instruction to allow me to pan right or left into other pages.

My workflow goes like, start new window, do work, get interrupted, move right into new space, open new window, do work, close window, pan left to old task. Occasionally, I need a window I left behind, so ALT-TAB will warp it to your current viewport.

If you know of a better way to do the panning, or the window warping (ideally I think it would be based on what percentage of the window was visible), I’d very much like the feedback as I’ve been working with this for a couple weeks now. ;)

Screenshots don’t show the workflow, so I created an animated GIF (1MB) showing FVWM in action. Regardless, here’s my screenshot:

You’ll see that I got rid of titlebars, everything I need to do is either mouse or key available, and I’d rather keep other things on my screen (FYI, I borrowed and edited the background, it’s originally from PLB’s Pixel Elegance).

The panning config is setup with the following:

EdgeResistance 0 0
EdgeThickness 2
EdgeCommand east  FuncScrollMoveH  40p -5p
EdgeCommand west  FuncScrollMoveH -40p  5p
EdgeCommand north FuncScrollMoveV -40p  5p
EdgeCommand south FuncScrollMoveV  40p -5p

DestroyFunc   FuncScrollMoveV
AddtoFunc FuncScrollMoveV
+ I Scroll 0 $0
+ I CursorMove 0 $1

DestroyFunc   FuncScrollMoveH
AddtoFunc FuncScrollMoveH
+ I Scroll $0 0
+ I CursorMove $1 0

and the off-screen window warping via:

DestroyFunc RootWindowListFunc
AddtoFunc RootWindowListFunc
+ I Iconify false
+ I Focus NoWarp
+ I Raise
+ I PlaceAgain Anim

DestroyFunc AltTabWindowListFunc
AddtoFunc AltTabWindowListFunc
+ I Iconify false
+ I Focus NoWarp
+ I Raise
+ I Current (!Visible) PlaceAgain Anim

– Patrick.

I’ve read your post when you made it, quite some time ago. And now that I re-read it I must say I have come to realize that I adhere a lot more to the way of working you describe than I thought at that moment.

Maybe that’s why some WMs don’t have pages, they just use a “real” stack and Alt-Tab (just so everybody knows what I’m going on about), to the previous window if they need it, close it when they’re done and are back at the window they were originally working at… I must say that the concept is a lot more appealing and especially logical than I thought at that moment…

Thanks! Give the config a chance, it’s pretty interesting to try.

I’ve since dropped the Alt-Tab functionality in order to enforce the notion of a stack. This required that all the programs I use allow for multiple windows (firefox, OpenOffice, etc.), but that’s now doable.

What’s left is a smooth visually-obvious (for tards like me) view of your work. And that makes work’s interruptions just easier to deal with.