Gnome applets

Hello,

does anybody knows how to use gnome applets in fvwm2?

Thanks in advance,
Elwe

You just… use them.

What makes you think they need special treatment? Some applets aren’t standalone (requiring gnome-panel, for instance.)

– Thomas Adam

So, I’m back again. Thanks for your answer. I haven’t tested other applets, I just want to run nm-applet. Now I know, that it needs a tray to become visible. I found the program ktray, which starts a standalone tray, in which nm-applet appears. Fine!

Now I want to swallow the ktray in my FvwmButtons:
*FvwmButtons: ( Swallow (UseOld) ktray ‘Exec ktray & nm-applet &’)

ktray is started, but sometimes the ktray-window is not swallowed. Maybe because of the change of the window size?

Do you have an idea?

Thanks in advance,
Elwe

Try Stalonetray instead.

– Thomas Adam

Or trayer - on my computer works perfectly

It has a lot of quirks though. Stalonetray is the lesser of two evils in this case.

– Thomas Adam

Excellent hint! This is one of the things that were missing in my desktop.

I have stalonetray working with the following settings:

geometry -0+0 grow_gravity W icon_gravity NW transparent true

In the man page there is this option:

I wonder if this makes any difference in fvwm.

Cheers!

Setting it to normal will suffice.

– Thomas Adam

I was having an issue when starting stalonetray. I had it in startfunction:

[code]AddToFunc StartFunction

• I Exec exec stalonetray[/code]

It did not start with fvwm, but it did if I restarted fvwm afterwards. From this thread I got the tip:

[code]AddToFunc StartFunction

• I Schedule 800 Exec exec stalonetray[/code]

Why it is “Schedule 800” needed?

As I find this a rellevant issue, I have added this information in the gentoo wiki FVWM_Advanced, and I would appreciate if somebody could check its accuracy.

Cheers!

Because if you’re using it in transparent mode (i,.e., it defines transparency) or it’s being swallowed into FvwmButtons, you sometimes need to ensure that the background image is loaded first, before stalonetray is loaded, otherwise it gets into a bit of a mess and dies.

Of course, if you’re swallowing it in FvwmButtons, the best way of doing this is:

*FvwmFoo: (1x1, Swallow (NoClose, UseOld) `stalonetray` `Exec exec stalonetray`)

Or what have you to use the old one of it’s available. and to allow it to persist if FVWM restarts, etc.

I’ll take a look.

– Thomas Adam