Help with Panel

Hi! I’m new to this forums, so hello everybody! :smiley:

I use FVWM for about 4 days now, and I slowly realize it’s a really complex and very configurable WM. Now, done with the preamble, I can say my problem :wink: :

I’ve managed to make some kind of panel, but FvwmIconMan still gives me problems. It always grows vertically although I don’t want it to. Also my clock seems to overlap with my pager. Here is my panel config:

# Panel
*PanelBar: BoxSize smart
*PanelBar: Columns 25
*PanelBar: Rows 1
*PanelBar: Frame 0
*PanelBar: Colorset 3
*PanelBar: ActiveColorset 3
*PanelBar: PressColorset 3
#*PanelBar: Font "Shadow=1 SE:xft:ZeroHour:bold:pixelsize=16:minspace=true"
*PanelBar: Geometry 1024x48+0-0
*PanelBar: Padding 0 0
*PanelBar: Pixmap none
#*PanelBar: (1x1 icon /usr/share/icons/gentoo/l33t/l33t_BRO_firefox.png, Action Exec firefox)
*PanelBar: (22x1, Swallow "FvwmIconMan" "FvwmIconMan")
*PanelBar: (Swallow "FvwmPager" "FvwmPager 0 0")
*PanelBar: (1x1, Swallow "FvwmApplet-DigitalClock" "FvwmScript FvwmApplet-DigitalClock 0 0")

# Taskbar
DestroyModuleConfig FvwmIconMan: *
*FvwmIconMan: DrawIcons Always
*FvwmIconMan: ReliefThickness 1
*FvwmIconMan: ManagerGeometry 1x1 # ------> I'm not really sure about this
*FvwmIconMan: ButtonGeometry 600x1 # -------> .. as well as about this
*FvwmIconMan: UseWinList true
*FvwmIconMan: Action Mouse 1 N sendcommand WMHActivateWindowFunc 

# Pager
DestroyModuleConfig FvwmPager: *
*FvwmPager: MiniIcons
*FvwmPager: Font "none"

Do you know how to fix this?

EDIT: My target is something like this.

I think you need the ManagerGeometry option set to zero, you might want to check the manpage for more information :slight_smile:

Thanks, this has resolved! :smiley:

Now one more problem: I can set my font, but ä, ö, ü are displayed as à and things like that.

My current menu font:

MenuStyle * Font "xft:Times New Roman:size=17"

Which font do you use/recommend?

Maybe you need to specify the encoding too, like this (example taken from the manpage):

"xft:Luxi Mono:Medium:Roman:size=14:encoding=iso8859-1"

Or maybe your font doesn’t support those characters (though they even are containend in latin1 iirc).

Funny … when I use encoding 8859-1, “Menü” becomes “MenÃ1/4”, but when I use 8859, it becomes “MenÃOE”.

Do you write “funny letters” in Belgium?

EDIT: I figured this out now too! I had to use “StringEncoding=UTF-8:xft:Bitstream Cyberbit” to make it work! Thanks for bringing me to the right direction (that means, the man page :wink: ).

New question: You can use use FvwmButtons as kind of starter panel, that means that it displays an icon and when you click on it, the application starts. Is there any way to resize the icon in the FvwmButtons config, like:

*PanelBar: (1x1 Icon(32x32) /usr/share/icons/gentoo/l33t/l33t_BRO_firefox.png, Action Exec firefox)

Otherwise I will have to make a seperate folder with many icons just with the right size.

I’m afraid you’ll have to create the separate folder. There have been people asking for vector icon support in FVWM but there is none as of yet…

Thanks! I really appreciate your answers!

Now the last question for today: Do you know a way to use the mouse wheel on the desktop that it switches to the next page/desktop?

For example, my desktop layout looks like this:

/-----------------\
| Page 1 | Page 2 |
|-----------------|
| Page 3 | Page 4 |
\-----------------/

When the mouse cursor is on the desktop in Page 1 and I move the mouse wheel upwards, it should change to Page 2. When I’m finally in Page 4 and still move the mouse wheel upwards, I should come back to Page 1.

EDIT: Sorry, the problem has resolved - I added this to .fvwm2rc:

Mouse 4 R       A       Scroll -100000 0
Mouse 5 R       A       Scroll 100000 0