how do i disable ctrl+alt+f1 and ctrl+alt+backspace?

hello everybody.

as you can see in the subject, i want to disable some key bindings, for example “ctrl+alt+F1” and “ctrl+alt+F1”. the reason is that i don’t want the ‘user’ to have the possibility to see any console or shutdown the system, no matter how many cats are jumping on the keyboard.
i tried the “Key” command in many combinations but i wasn’t able to find out how to do it. nothing seems to work.

can anyone help me please?

i’m using FVWM version 2.4.6 (can’t upgrade)

greetings

mark

As far as I know you can’t, since these are effectively hard-wired into the XServer. Hence I would look at your XServer’s documentation.

If it’s a cat-safe desktop you want, see the main FVWM FAQ. There’s a solution there involving sloppy-focus, although I would just lock the keyboard and mouse a la ‘xtrlock’.

– Thomas Adam

hi thomas,

it’s not a “cat-safe” desktop that i want. i’m creating some kind of “kiosk browsing” system and the users shouldn’t be able to get to to the console or to do anything else that is “forbidden”. but i guess you’re right, i should rather look at the Xservers manpage than trying to map keys using the Key command. i already solved one problem.
what happens, when the “ctrlaltdel” key combination is pressed is defined in the /etc/inittab. commenting it out disables it. i think the rest can be done somhow using xmodmap.

greetings

mark

I do not think so. I really do think you need to look at your xserver’s documentation. xmodmap I don’t think is going to help you here. I vaguely remember reading about this once before, but I can’t remember where.

– Thomas Adam

well, what i know is that there is an “DontVTSwitch” option that can be activated and should do the trick. the bad news is that i’m using “damn small linux” (damnsmalllinux.org) which uses Xvesa (Tiny X) and doesn’t have any XF86.conf file to write into. so i’m trying to find out if there’s another way.

greetings

mark

You can probably supply it as a command-line option when you start X11 up. This is, perhaps, far from ideal.

– Thomas Adam