Java app resizing issue

Don’t know if this issue has been discussed here, I searched the boards but couldn’t find anything.
Anyway, I’m writing a Java app that has a menu bar. When I run the app under fvwm I run into the following issue.

After I resize the window by dragging with the mouse, the mouse pointer location no longer points correctly to the location of the menu item I want to select. This may be difficult to visualize, but let’s say my menu has three options: Open File, Options, Quit.

AFTER I resize the main window, I have to point my mouse on Quit in order to select Open File. The menu item currently selected is highlighted by the Java app, so after a resize, when I point the mouse at the Quit item, the Open File item is highlighted. I actually have to move the mouse below the menu in order to see the Quit option highlighted.

This doesn’t happen when I first bring the app up. Everything works correctly when I start the app up. However, after a resize, it’s as if fvwm didn’t update where the mouse is located with respect to the window. The java app consists of tabbed panes. Each tabbed pane also has a popup menu which is brought up by clicking mouse button 3. The same behavior is seen in the popup menus after a resize.

This doesn’t happen in Gnome. But I prefer fvwm. I am using fvwm 2.5.26

Is there some option in fvwm I can set? Is there something I can do in the Java app?

Thanks,

Tony

This will be one of many Java oddities where the Java folks have refused yet again to do anything about it.

There’s nothing in FVWM which will help you overcome this; FVWM isn’t a tool to circumvent other buggy implementations.

– Thomas Adam

Yes, I understand that fvwm is not responsible for other programs, however, this issue does not occur on other window managers, only twm and its derivatives (fvwm, etc). Hopefully, then, you can understand the reason for my question to fvwm.
Anyway, I have found a workaround, and that is to MOVE the window after a resize. The MOVE can be simply to grab the title bar with the mouse and move the window by just a few bare pixels. Then the behavior is back to normal.
Thanks,
Tony

Oh I do – but since Java has no respect for the ICCCM2, where FVWM does, there’s still nothing that can be done other than huge kludges.

– Thomas Adam