libstroke

Question
So my best guess is fvwm is expecting libstroke to be some where else.

Can anyone tell me:

1. How I can make fvwm look in /usr/local/lib OR
  2. Where it is epecting libstroke (or how to find this out) and I’ll just add a link

Background:
I [b]need[/b] to get fvwm working on redhat enterprise. (Long story, but its not my requirement)

I found an rpm meant for redhat 8.x - fedora, so that sounded resonable. Generally speaking redhat 9 rpm’s will install on enterprise 3.

I had to install libstroke via ./configure make make install since I couldn’t find an rpm for it. So when I installed the fvwm rpm, I told it not to check dependancies.

Problem:
When I run fvwm I get :

Yet:

Thanks,
Bill

Wouldn’t it be way easier to install Fvwm also from source? Afaik you can’t specify the place Fvwm (or any other app) for libs it used to compile with at runtime…

So you’ll either have to find rpm’s for everything you need or build everything you need from source…

[EDIT]There are rpm’s here and for the libs here.

Mine is located here:

/usr/lib/libstroke.so

When you create your makefile, you can generally assign a different directory where to install your compiled products. The basic command is:

configure --prefix=/usr

However, you should keep it in /usr/local as it’s a product you’ve compiled outside your distro repository. Launch Fvwm like this (generally under your .xinitrc):

#!/bin/sh export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH exec fvwm

pem: thanks that works perfectly. Well, I took the idea and did is a slightly different way, but you told me what variable I needed to modify.

Thank you so much…

If only I could get work to switch to gentoo, then I wouldn’t have these problems.