List of possible Bindings.

Hmm - is there somewhere a list of all possible key and mouse bindings?
Is there some way to set an action defined to a specifiv pixelarea where the mouse are moved.

I what i am asking for above what i need to switch pages and desks relatively how the mous moves?

Eg - what i am trying to do is to switch desks and pages while hovering the mouse over the pager, and i want it to be switched one desk/page at the time and i dont want to use neither a key ora a mousekey,

/Dante65

Not really – you can look in ‘fvwm.c’ for a list of what FVWM provides you as an internal set when no config is found. But that really is only used when no config file is loaded by FVWM.

The file: $(fvwm-config -d)/ConfigFvwmDefaults lists bindings that FVWM uses by default – this file is read before your ~/.fvwm2rc file is – so often is the case such bindings are overwritten by your own config anyway.

Only after an event is triggered. FVWM doesn’t monitor the mouse movement such that it provides feedback in anyway.

Nope. But what you could do is try using the ActiveAction patch to FvwmButtons found here:

starshine.org/xteddy/thomas/fvwm/patches.html

– Thomas Adam

I tried the ActiveAction patch (thank you for the link, Thomas Adam) , and it’s a good way in the direction where i want to go.
However i have not reached what i realy need, a fvwmpager where i change desks/pages just when i hover the mouse over the pages.

Here is how my code looks like today

[code]DestroyFunc StartFunction
AddToFunc StartFunction

• I Module FvwmPager 0 0
  • I Exec exec fvwm-root -r /MISC/MEDIA/pics/backgrounds/redsomething.png
  • I Module FvwmButtons

DestroyModuleConfig FvwmButtons: *
Style “FvwmButtons” Title, Handles, borders, Sticky,
*FvwmButtons: Columns 3
*FvwmButtons: Rows 3
*FvwmButtons: (Title “0.0”, ActiveAction “GotoDeskAndPage 0 0 0”)
*FvwmButtons: (Title “0.1”, ActiveAction “GotoDeskAndPage 0 1 0”)
*FvwmButtons: (Title “0.2”, ActiveAction “GotoDeskAndPage 0 2 0”)
*FvwmButtons: (Title “0.3”, ActiveAction “GotoDeskAndPage 0 0 1”)
*FvwmButtons: (Title “0.4”, ActiveAction “GotoDeskAndPage 0 1 1”)
*FvwmButtons: (Title “0.5”, ActiveAction “GotoDeskAndPage 0 2 1”)
*FvwmButtons: (Title “0.6”, ActiveAction “GotoDeskAndPage 0 0 2”)
*FvwmButtons: (Title “0.7”, ActiveAction “GotoDeskAndPage 0 1 2”)
*FvwmButtons: (Title “0.8”, ActiveAction “GotoDeskAndPage 0 2 2”)

Style “FvwmPager” Title, Handles, borders, Sticky, WindowListSkip, CirculateSkip, Iconifiable, NoIcon
DestroyModuleConfig FvwmPager: *
*FvwmPager: Geometry 200x200-400+300
*FvwmPager: Colorset * 4
*FvwmPager: MenuColorset * 7
*FvwmPager: HilightColorset * 10
*FvwmPager: BalloonColorset * 9
*FvwmPager: WindowColorsets 9 10
*FvwmPager: Font “xft:Sans:Bold:pixelsize=12:minspace=True:antialias=True”
*FvwmPager: MiniIcons
*FvwmPager: UseSkipList[/code]

Any comments about the code in general is appricated.

The only ideas i can come up to how show the pager and change desks/pages while i sweep with the mouse over it is,
A: i can use Transet-df to set the FvwmButtons Module to 100% Transluacency, and have the FvwmPager module in the same position so i see FvwmPager and also leftclicks and middleclickanddrag can i bypass to the FvwmPager module.
B:I can make one FvwmPager for each pages/desks and let FvwmButtons swallow them and place them side by side in the same order as i should have in the ‘real’ FvwmPager and in each lower right corner i place a small FvwmButton which have the ActiveAction invoked which let me switch to the nearest Desk/Page

None of theese ideas are realy that good, A: lags my computer and B:have some practical problems (i use 9 desks and 9 pages at each desk - so there should be a lot of code (even though it is a easy to create one block of code and then copy and paste them and just change the needed digits for the desks and pagees) - and i maybe not hit the button while i sweep with the mouse

There are orther solutions as well, such as Swallow FvwmPager in FvwmButtons and have a tab where i can click on to change between buttons that represents my pages or show FvwmPager itself in the normal way, i also could keep them as separate modules - but that is not either the right solution to me.

Does anyone out there have ideas how to make this in a more elegant way.?

/Dante65

You’re never going to be able to do this. At best you could probably separate out each page into FvwmButtons and use FvwmEvent listening on enter_window, but then you run into the same problem as before – that’s not hovering, that would happen as soon as the mouse entered the window, unless you faked it via Schedule, such that you gave the illusion it was hovering, but that would be pointless.

It’s fine.

That’s not a solution.

This is about as close as you’re going to get unless someone patches FvwmPager.

– Thomas Adam

If i was not that Newbie in Fvwm and also in Linux in general i should do that right now- as i can see there should not be to complicated.
But i think its better i go on learn Linux and Fvwm and write patches in the future.

Anyway - i think i will try to do this the way tha you say is (for the moment) the best - is there any way to create the modules through a loop or something.? I have 9 Pages with 9 desks in each page. (eg - do Fvwm Support Loops - i asume not).
Else i just write a piece of c-code that generates the code to my to my config file (i am not that good in ShellScripting yet).

Also - do you know about any similar Pager from other sources than Fvwm?

/Dante65

FVWM doesn’t natively support looping constructs, Shellscript isn’t that hard though (albeit a bit quircky), especially not if you already know C. In either case you’ll want to use Piperead for which there are tons of examples on these forums :slight_smile:

The FVWM pager is one of it’s distinguishing features, so I doubt you’ll easily find something similar (well, there’s Enlightenment DR16’s pager, which is based on FVWM’s and not usable without E16 afaik), not to mention that pagers in general are relatively closely tied to their window manager. So in fact, the only “standalone” ones you’d probably find are those of Desktop Environments like GNOME.

There are quite a few standalone pagers. Right now, fbpager, wmpager, wmcp, netwmpager, kpager and bbpager comes to my mind. I think that those should work on almost any wm, fvwm included. There are also others like gai-pager, obpager, pager (the rox pager), and probably many more, I don’t remember about those too much, so I can’t tell you if they would work or not.

But anyway, maybe excepting kpager and netwmpager, you will not find them too much useful if you compare them to the fvwm native pager. I am of the opinion that the fvwm pager is probably the best pager available right now. Of course, your opinion may be different. But I don’t think that any of these provide the hovering functionality either.

Hmm, true.

I think the majority of them doesn’t even support the notion of “pages”, only “desktops” (fbpager and wmpager are like this afaik) or vice versa. FvwmPager is imo the best pager around and is one of the first things I’d mention if asked what FVWM functionality I like best :slight_smile:

Yep. No doubt it is my pager of choice as well. The desktop/page distinction is not really that important for me. As long as I can traverse throught them using key bindings and with my mouse through the borders. I never used both at the same time. I just use a desktop with as many pages as I need, or I use many desktops with just one page.

Still, there are some other features like the labels on mouseover that I would miss a lot. I also like that ability to take one window from the pager and drop it in front of your face. It is really convenient, even if I usually use the keyboard for almost everything.