Making icons on desktop?

I once made som icons with the program Idesk.

But is it possible to make them dynamically by making a menu that gets activated when I right click on the “Root” area where I can choose “make new text file” and then it opens kwrite and when I am finished it leaves a shortcut on the root folder to the text file.

[color=red]Edited by theBlackDragon:
–> Moved from Basic questions
–>I’ll put it in General Fvwm discussion for now, it might move again depending on the direction the discussion takes.[/color]

fvwm.org/documentation/faq/#7.13

– Thomas Adam

I am not sure you understand me. I have made icons on the desktop before with idesk.

But now I would like to ba able to just right click on root and choose “new document” type something into eg kwrite. And when I am finished there should be an icon on the root window which is a shortcut to this document.

OK. In order for that to happen I would need to know how idesk works. Can you provide some details on that?

– Thomas Adam

Its quite some time since I used it. But the idea is that you have an .ideskrc file in your how dir containing something like this:

table Config
  FontName: tahoma
  FontSize: 8
  FontColor: #ffffff
  Locked: false
  Transparency: 150
  Shadow: true
  ShadowColor: #000000
  ShadowX: 1
  ShadowY: 2
  Bold: false
  ClickDelay: 300
  IconSnap: true
  SnapWidth: 55
  SnapHeight: 100
  SnapOrigin: BottomRight
  SnapShadow: true
  SnapShadowTrans: 200
  CaptionOnHover: false
end
table Actions
  Lock: control right doubleClk
  Reload: middle doubleClk
  Drag: left hold
  EndDrag: left singleClk
  Execute[0]: left doubleClk
  Execute[1]: right doubleClk
end  

Then you have the pictures in some specified folder.

But with iDesk its only possible to make icons that you have predefined, its not possible to make them dynamically to single files.

Maybe my original idea is a bit overkill :slight_smile:

I use rox.
It has Icons and an integrated filemanager.
You can drag files from the filemanager to the desktop.

rox.sf.net

As newer versions (2) are slower, I use version 1.2, that is default in Puppylinux.

Mark