mplayer and pypanel stays on top

When i’m looking a video, main window of mplayer (gmplayer) and PyPanel stays on top. How to made, that im not looking this programm.
My english is not good, sorry.

[color=red]Edited by theBlackDragon:
–> Moved from Basic questions: layering and such isn’t really considered basic anymore…:wink:[/color]

Try adding Style "*mplayer" StaysPut to your config. It may need a capital M.

FVWM - 2.5.12, Gentoo Linux
This my style config

Style MPlayer NoTitle, Sticky, WindowListSkip
Style *MPlayer StaysPut

But it not work for me.

same setup here, and those commands seem to work in my setup.

could you be setting another style later in your config that accidentally affects MPlayer as well?

###################################################################
### Styles
###################################################################

#### Fvwm Modules Styles
Style FvwmPager    NoTitle,  Sticky, WindowListSkip, CirculateSkipIcon, CirculateSkip
Style FvwmPager    StaysOnBottom, NoHandles, BorderWidth 0
Style FvwmDock     Sticky, NoTitle, NoHandles, Borderwidth 0
Style FvwmDock     WindowListSkip, StaysOnBottom

#### Applications Styles
Style GameConsole NoTitle, Sticky, WindowListSkip, CirculateSkipIcon, CirculateSkip
Style GameConsole StaysOnTop, NoHandles, BorderWidth 0, WindowShadeSteps 150
Style gnome-panel Sticky, NoTitle, NoHandles, Borderwidth 0
Style gnome-panel WindowListSkip, StaysOnTop

Style epiphany EWMHMiniIconOverride, MiniIcon icons/galeon.png
Style Evolution EWMHMiniIconOverride, MiniIcon icons/evolution.png
Style gedit  EWMHMiniIconOverride, MiniIcon icons/gvim.png
Style urxvt  EWMHMiniIconOverride, MiniIcon icons/gnome-term.png
Style xchat  EWMHMiniIconOverride, MiniIcon icons/xchat.png
Style gimp-2.0 EWMHMiniIconOverride, MiniIcon icons/gimp.png
Style amsn EWMHMiniIconOverride, MiniIcon icons/gaim.png
Style nautilus EWMHMiniIconOverride, MiniIcon icons/gnome-home.png
Style gFTP EWMHMiniIconOverride, MiniIcon icons/gnome-fs-network.png
Style Gkrellm NoTitle, Sticky, WindowListSkip, StaysOnBottom, NeverFocus
Style rhythmbox EWMHMiniIconOverride, MiniIcon icons/gnome-audio2.png
Style gDesklets NoTitle, NoHandles, Borderwidth 0
Style Gdeskcalc NoTitle, NoHandles, Borderwidth 0
Style MPlayer Sticky, WindowListSkip, NoTitle, StaysPut
Style beep-media-player NoTitle
Style *bmp* Notitle
Style Configuration			Title, SloppyFocus
Style PyPanel				NoDecorHint, Notitle, WindowListSkip, StaysOnBottom, BorderColorset 3, BorderWidth 1
Style Untitled  Title

that all styles which i’m use.
I’m looked a Identification of mplayer window, it displaed that

Class: MPlayer
Desk: 0
Layer: 4 (it interesting, because in fullscreen mode Layer: 10)

And I have new question: how to stick mplayer on layer 4 (always).
In fullscreen mode main window ident on layer 10, and video window stays on layer 4. I thing it’s a truble which must be solved, but how?
P.S.
I’m a russian and very bad understud english.
Please write easy.

You can do this:

Style Mplayer Layer 0 4, StaysPut, ....

– Thomas Adam

It’s not work for me.
Maybe you are just post your fvwm2rc file?

It does work, but maybe what you’re after doesn’t involve the use of putting Mplayer in Layer 4. Can you try (I know it’s not easy) explaining what it is you want to happen, and what it is that isn’ happening, based on the configuration suggestions you’ve had so far?

– Thomas Adam

I’m don’t understend, how to involve the use of putting Mplayer in Layer 4.
I’m write to my config Layer 0 4 and restart session.
Mplayer not hide main window, i’m try to send mplayer on bottom layer (i’m dont know how to work with layer, give me a link), but it stand on top.
Maybe Layer 0 4 insufficiently. Which FVWM-modules must be loaded for layer handling?

It’s all in “man fvwm” – search for “Layer”. If you want mplayer to be on the bottom, then the convience style “StaysOnBottom” can be used thus:

Style mplayer StaysOnBottom

You can add that to your .fvwm2rc file. What I said before about “Layer 0 4” is valid, if that’s what you want. It’s a windowing style option and you can add as many as you like all on the same line, hence:

Style mplayer StaysOnBottom, Layer 0 4

(although it won’t make much sense to apply a Layer command when the “StaysOnBottom” style has been applied, but you get the idea.

If you wanted to completely lower a window to the bottom layer (No idea why, but you can), you could use something like this:

[code]DestroyFunc LowerMplayer
AddToFunc LowerMplayer

• I Exec exec mplayer
  • I Wait mplayer
  • I Layer 0 0
  • I Lower[/code]

But for now, stick with the use of Styles, as I have mentioned above.

– Thomas Adam

i have the same problems with xine running in fullscreen. if i play a movie windowed, the window is on layer 4. if i maximize it (fullscreen) then it’s on layer 6, i.e. above all other, so that i can’t alt+tab switch to other windows and make them visible since they’re all on layer 4.
i tried Style "xine*" Layer 4 but by switching to fullscreen, it always changes to layer 6.
solution/hack: use DefaultLayers 2 4 4then all “normal” windows appear on layer 4 and fullscreened-xine is also on layer 4

I’d be careful about using DefaultLayers, as it’s applied to all windows. I’d be much more inclined to use FvwmEvent, and test for maximisation, setting the layer of mplayer explicitly so that way.

– Thomas Adam

yes, you’re right. but since i’m using only one layer (layer 4), it seems to me a too big shot to test every window i maximize against xine-fullscreen. apart from that, one shouldn’t do, what i suggested :wink:
but it’s a working solution/HACK :wink:

Maybe i’m dumb.
Layer, Lower, StaysPut and StaysBottom not wok with mplayer and PyPanel. I can send to any layer all other application, without thus. May be my xorg.conf contain incorrect parametrs.
Thanks for help me.

You’re not dumb. Can you load your ~/.fvwm2rc file somewhere for us to see?

– Thomas Adam

So, i’m solve truble :slight_smile:
In mplayer has a secondary window - Video window.
It window identification as MPlayer - Video
I’m put to my fvwm2rc next string:

Style Mplayer NoTitle, StaysOnBottom, !Borders
Style "MPlayer - Video" Title, Border, StaysOnTop

And When Mplayer in fullscreen main window stay on 10 Layer, and Video window stay on 6 layer. But it work for me.
Thanks all.
If im mystake, please correct me.

No, that looks OK.

Well done.

– Thomas Adam

I’ve got similar problems (not exactly the same, though) with MPlayer. My config looks like:

Style "MPlayer" NoTitle, StaysOnBottom, NoBorder Style "MPlayer - Video" Title, Border, StaysPut
The problem I’ve got is that “MPlayer” (the controls) seem to push itself up to Layer 10 when “MPlayer - Video” is fullscreened. When “MPlayer - Video” is windowed, “MPlayer” keeps itself down to Layer 2 (which puts it below “MPlayer - Video”). What I want to accomplish is to keep “MPlayer” at Layer 2 all the time (since the controls get in the way while watching a video in full screen). Should I be listening to FvwmEvents for “MPlayer - Video”'s maximize event and manually set “MPlayer” to Layer 2? Is this how we are to accomplish layering in fvwm (a lot of “hackish” events here and there)? TIA!

That’s one way:

DestroyModuleConfig FE-max: *
*FE-max: Cmd Function
*FE-max: configure_window SomeFunc

DestroyFunc SomeFunc
AddToFunc SomeFunc
+ I All (Maximized, CurrentPage) ThisWindow ("MPlayer - Video") Layer 0 2

Module FvwmEvent FE-max

Or somesuch. :slight_smile:

– Thomas Adam

Doh, I guess I’m just going to have to read up more on FvwmEvent… Way too many modules in Fvwm (which is always a good and bad thing) :open_mouth: