Needing a little help to apply patches

Hello everyone! I’m new on this forum and I need some hints…

I’m using kubuntu 6.04, I have installed fvwm 2.5.24 one week ago and now I’m trying to install some patches to have windows decorations with rounded corners… but it’s the first time in my whole life I see “cvs” and “patch” commands so I’m not sure of what the hell I’m doing.
I’ve downloaded patches archive from here (file fvwm-2.5.26-18patches.tar.bz2, which I have not idea if it’s the correct one).

If I try to patch something, I get this output:

[code]$ patch -Np1 -i 01-fvwm-translucent-menus.patch
can’t find file to patch at input line 8
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:

|Index: fvwm/colorset.c
|===================================================================
|RCS file: /home/cvs/fvwm/fvwm/fvwm/colorset.c,v
[…][/code]
I found the command “patch -Np1 -i $patchfilename” wandering around the forum but I’m not sure it’s the right syntax. I’ve given a look to “man patch” but it’s a bit cryptic for me.

Anyway the path I can read in this output (/home/cvs/fvwm/fvwm/fvwm/colorset.c) is correct.
Can someone help me to figure this out?
Any help would be really appreciated. :slight_smile:

P.S.
Now and then, sorry for my awful english. ^^’

Some might apply, some others might not. I really don’t remember since it’s been long since the last time I modified them. As you can see those patches are meant to be used for 2.5.26, and you are using 2.5.24. So, I’d use fvwm from cvs or fvwm 2.5.26, whatever fits you.

It all depends on your current working dir and the patch itself. To put an example, if the route to colorset.c in your patch is fvwm/colorset.c then your current dir must be that. However, you can cut down one level by adding -p1. For example, if the route to colorset.c in the patch is fvwm-version/fvwm/colorset.c you can cd into fvwm-different-version and cut that level from the path by doing patch -p1 < /path/to/patch.diff inside that dir.

If you are not sure you can always use a text editor, cat or head to take a look to the paths in the patch file.

It all comes down to the fact that you either didn’t use the correct -p level or you are in the wrong directory.

Thanks! I did it! :smiley:

First of all I’ve downloaded sources of the right fvwm version (dumb me, I thought that the number in the patches file name was patches version and not fvwm version… d’oh! >.<)

Then I’ve checked every *.patch content and I put files in the right places… patched everything, compiled, installed, restarted xorg and… voila. Wonderful rounded corners on every window. :slight_smile:

Thank you again! Now I’ll play with configuration to create my own window decorations. ^___^

Well, I numbered them that way to avoid confusion (it didn’t work this time hehe)

I should really clean them at some point, but I’ve been away from fvwm for some time. However, I am glad that it finally worked for you.