I want to install and set up FVWM for something work-related. It has to support a wallpaper, and be able to run a browser and another work-related application. Because this has to run on new and old harware, and because we have the OS already on disc, I use Fedora Core 2. I have already read some of the stuff and tried some things already, but because I’m bounded to a time-limit and therefore don’t have the time to experiment myself, I thought to ask a few questions here:
- Because this workstation is going to be installed on a remote site, it has to be stable, because I don’t have the time to drive to the remote site, just because the pc crashed or something.
Which choice do I make then? do I use the 2.4.20 (stable) or the 2.5.23 (unstable), because I read somewhere that for basic functions, the 2.5.x version is stable. And which is the best thing to use? an rpm-package or one of those tar.gz-binary-files? Does the 2.4.20-version support wallpapers, because it doesn’t have the fvwm-root module.
- I am trying to set up the pc to this FVWM, I want FVWM to start automatically when the pc is booted, how do I go about achieving this? I already editted the /etc/inittab-file so that the default-init is at run-level 4 (which is not used).
I made sure the basic .fvwm2rc config file is in the root home-directory. I also created a .xinitrc file with in it the following:
So it comes done to the following:
- Is using Fedora Core 2 a bad idea, or doesn’t it matter?
- Which release do I use, and which install method?
- Which files do I have to change to make FVWM work, and startup automatically at boot?
Every answer is welcome.
Thanks in advance