"Nextstep" w/o Afterstep...

Hi list,

I’ve been using Windowmaker, and have just begun giving fvwm a whirl – I’d like to start out with a look/feel somewhat like what I’m used to…

Now, I know about Afterstep, and maybe the reason I can’t seem to turn up a “Nextstep-like” fvwm setup is because everyone who wants what I want just goes ahead and uses Afterstep, but I’d like to stick around in fvwm-land if possible – I like what I see so far.

I’m not even thinking so much of the Dock and such (which I have turned off in WM, anyway) just the titlebars, buttons, resizebars, and menus…

I’ll bet it can be done in an .fvwmrc, but has anyone done it? If I could hear of a config I could use as a jumping-off place, that’d be swell! :wink:

(I’ve seen the one by – IINM – Johnson, which has some WM-like mouse-and-key behavior, and I’ve stolen from that already… but I’ve come up empty in the “looks” dep’t…)

best to all,

–k

Have a look at fvwm-themes, that has a screenshot showing afterstep – you can use it for ideas, I’m sure.

– Thomas Adam

Have a look at fvwm-themes, that has a screenshot showing afterstep –

Thanks for the tip, Thomas! I’ll play around with the package a bit. I like to stay away from themes as such – being a minimalist kinda guy – but…

you can use it for ideas, I’m sure.

…I might well be able to do what I did with a gtk-theme package once; i.e. dump the engine and the pixmaps, while stealing from the accompanying *rc files…

best,

–k

You’re welcome. Yes, what I would do, if I were you, is use fvwm-themes to steal the window decoration styles and possibly the icons and build everything else from scratch.

– Thomas Adam