Noob questions

I have been following this topic. I didn’t see any confusion. Rather an interesting discussion process. I also thought that .config/autostart was the answer, same as many Linux users would suggest.
@12sunflowers reply was great: “its totally muddle”. @amlug also noticed the wrongness and gave immediately a new answer. This trigged to a better solution by adding to .NsCDE/Init.fvwmconf. KISE was just an example.

This what I like, a forum where perfect answers are not expected but end with a solution. @12sunflowers got the answer and told: “we need go deeper”(c), next question, i have 2 connected monitors.

@lgsobalvarro replied “XF86AudioLowerVolume” which was really “confusing” :smile: but this again trigged the next process.

To discredit any member, should not be allowed. We are few here but we do great. Thanks @12sunflowers for keeping up with us. :1st_place_medal:

3 Likes

@Mjaakko Agree, the main thing that Fvwm3 and dissqussion is alive :)

1 Like

No. Fvwm is an old fashion window manager. It focus on just that: Managing windows. You could use FvwmScript and other Fvwm modules to build little programs if you wish. In fact that’s what NsCDE uses and abuses and when it can’t then uses sh or python scripts.
Desktops have been moving away from per-function apps, like it worked in the past to simplify maintenance and reduce the number of processes. Until a few years ago XFCE, for instance, used volumeicon. They no longer do so. Instead their shell talks directly to PulseAudio.
As I said before, you can set keybindings in fvwm to manage volume (In fact I gave you an example of how set it). The catch is it won’t show any notifications. It will simply do it. You can also set key-bindins for swithing keyboard layouts and all this if you want. It takes a bit of doing but can be done.

Ok, thanks. But yours variant uncomortable for me. My habit using tradition tray like at xfce, so here at fvwms i like stalonetray idea, or nscde idea standalone widgets, why fvwm3 cant realese tradition tray or widgets?

Because FVWM is a window manager – it manages windows. This means, it allows you to move, resize windows. It’s not a complete desktop environment – it’s not integrated with those features. Hence why, under FVWM, you don’t see a dedicated systray, or window bar, etc. Some of those features, fvwm provides for itself. Others not.